MBA Application Process Resources & Books

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

MBA Application Process Resources & Books

by money9111 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:13 pm
I got a PM requesting recommendations for books & resources pertaining to the MBA application process. I wanted to open up the discussion to anyone else that's interested or has insight/additional information. I've read all of the books below back in the summer of 09. I plan on going through them again after GMAT prep.

Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance by Paul Bodine

Business School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Business Sshool Expereince by students, for students - by Robert H. Miller and Katherine F. Koegler

The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets by Chioma Isiadinso

! How to get into a top MBA program by Richard Montauk !

The last one is flanked by exclamation marks because I would consider this one the BIBLE. I would also suggest downloading everything from MBA Podcaster on itunes. The podcasts are free but they're incredibly helpful
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by sars72 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:27 am
"Your MBA Game Plan" by Omari Bouknight is another decent guide

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm
money9111 wrote:I got a PM requesting recommendations for books & resources pertaining to the MBA application process. I wanted to open up the discussion to anyone else that's interested or has insight/additional information. I've read all of the books below back in the summer of 09. I plan on going through them again after GMAT prep.

Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance by Paul Bodine

Business School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Business Sshool Expereince by students, for students - by Robert H. Miller and Katherine F. Koegler

The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets by Chioma Isiadinso

! How to get into a top MBA program by Richard Montauk !

The last one is flanked by exclamation marks because I would consider this one the BIBLE. I would also suggest downloading everything from MBA Podcaster on itunes. The podcasts are free but they're incredibly helpful
I have both The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets by Chioma Isiadinso and How to get into a top MBA program by Richard Montauk. These are both GREAT books and I would highly recommend them.

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 pm
I guess Richard Montauk's book is probably the only book one needs. But in case you exhaust it and are still in the mood for something like a step-by-step book then herez one that I read and loved:
MBA Admissions Strategy: From Profile Building to Essay Writing by Avi Gordon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014E ... 79G6JX7Q4P)
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Vorskl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:42 pm
my 2 cents
I did not like "How to get into a top MBA program" by Richard Montauk mainly because it is too big.
My preferences are much slimmer and up-to-the point books, such as

MBA Admission strategy by Avi Gordon - very practical, great profile-building techniques

The MBA Field Guide: How to Get In & What to Expect at the World's Renowned Programs by Alex Chu - excellent (the only?) description of MBA student's life. Although the book is somewhat weak in admission part (Avi's is stronger)

The PE MBA Guide (https://www.precisionessay.com/resources ... mba-guide/) Excellent essay guide, the rest of application process is covered briefly. But that does not matter coz that book is all about essays.