MBA admission Canada- advise needed

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA admission Canada- advise needed

by amrendra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 am
Hi All,

I have been accepted to the full time MBA program at Haskayne school of business,university of calgary with $10000 scholarship in addition to the usual $ 11500 international student grant. I also have an offer from Degroote school of business,McMaster University. I am really confused between the two and have only 2 weeks to decide :( .
Please advise which one would be more suitable for me considering the reputation of the school, post MBA employment opportunities and the curriculum . I am international student from India with Bachelor of Engineering degree and 3.5 years of work experience in the largest IT consulting firm in India. My post MBA career goal is to work in the field of management/IT consulting.
Please share your views/thoughts about these two schools

Regards
Amrendra

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by classic5 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:05 am
I suggest you try visiting both schools and maybe talk to some students, in order to see where you can see yourself and where you fit most.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by westsidah408 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Hi amrendra,

I would look at this in two aspects:
1. Which school do you see yourself fitting in the most? This means peers, social/professional clubs, alumni, learning format and so on.
2. Which school would be better for you to achieve your goals, given your experience.

The best way to find this out would be to speak to as many alumni, current students and recruiters as you possibly can, especially those with similar backgrounds and goals to you. LinkedIn is a great tool for this.

Good luck ;)
amrendra wrote:Hi All,

I have been accepted to the full time MBA program at Haskayne school of business,university of calgary with $10000 scholarship in addition to the usual $ 11500 international student grant. I also have an offer from Degroote school of business,McMaster University. I am really confused between the two and have only 2 weeks to decide :( .
Please advise which one would be more suitable for me considering the reputation of the school, post MBA employment opportunities and the curriculum . I am international student from India with Bachelor of Engineering degree and 3.5 years of work experience in the largest IT consulting firm in India. My post MBA career goal is to work in the field of management/IT consulting.
Please share your views/thoughts about these two schools

Regards
Amrendra

by lbuhler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:12 pm
Hi Amrendra,

If you are looking at working in Canada after the fact, you may wish to look at opportunities each school provides after the fact. I am Canadian and actually did my undergraduate degree at Haskayne. While I cannot compare the two schools in terms of quality or rank at the MBA level, I can attest to Calgary being a good place for jobs. McMaster is close to Toronto, but is a solid 2 hours away.
It also depends what you are looking to do afterward. As you know, Western Canada's growth is centered around natural resources and entrepreneurship. Toronto will be closer to financial services and retail, although both cities offer opportunities in all of the above, surely. At the undergraduate level, I know McKinsey and the other top consulting firms hire from Haskayne. Not sure about the MBA level, but it could be something to check into if you are looking at going the consulting route.
Any specific questions about life in Calgary/Haskayne I could answer :)

Followed by:1 members

by pratikpatel23 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 am
Hi Amrendra,

I have got an interview call from Haskayne School of business and so i need some help on it. I wnat to know what kind of questions they ask and what do they expect from the applicant. There are a lot of websites, where i can get my answer, but i think an advice from personal experience holds higher value. My GMAT score is 660, GPA 3.3 and work experience of 3.5 years.

Regards
Pratik