Math question from kaplan math workbook

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Math question from kaplan math workbook

by DarNoor » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:27 am
First, i want to say that this is a great site. This is my first post. I just got the kaplan math workbook to brush up on my math. And wouldn't you know it, i am stumped on one of the problems in the quizes. I just can't understand the explanation. I will type out the problem and the corrct answer. Could someone please tell me how the arrived at the answer?

If x, and y, and z are all positive and 0.04x=5y=2z, then which of the following is true?

x<y<z
x<z<y
y<x<z this was my answer
y<z<x this is the correct answer
z<y<x

The explanation is that since all the terms are positive, we know that it takes more y's than z's to equal one x. Therefore, x is the biggest, followed by z, and y is the smallest.

Wouldn't y be the largest? Followed by z and then ending in x? If anyone has the same book, the question is on page 23 and the answer is on page 77. Thanks for the help.
~D~

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:19 am
If x, and y, and z are all positive and 0.04x=5y=2z, then which of the following is true?

x<y<z
x<z<y
y<x<z this was my answer
z<y<x
One of the easiest ways to solve this type of question is by picking numbers.

Since 0.04x is the weirdest of the terms, let's let x=100. Therefore, 0.04x = (.04)100 = 4

So, we have 0.04x = 5y = 2z, which becomes 4 = 5y = 2z

if 5y = 4, then y = 4/5. If 2z =4, then z = 4/2 = 2

Therefore, x=100, z =2, y = 4/5. The order is x > z > y. Flip that around to get (d).

If you want to compare the variables without picking numbers, then it's easiest if you get rid of the decimal first.

Since 0.04 = 4/100 = 1/25, we can just multiply all 3 terms by 25 to get:

x = 125y = 50z

so, it takes 125 y's to make 50 z's or 1 x. Therefore, x is the biggest, followed by z, followed by y.

edit: forgot to turn of html, messed up my first post, sorry!
Last edited by Stuart@KaplanGMAT on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:13 pm
Welcome! I moved this post to the PS discussion area...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

by simplyjat » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:27 pm
Wouldn't y be the largest? Followed by z and then ending in x?
With this reasoning you should have picked answer B, why did you pick D ?

basically if 5x = 2y, then one of the possible solution is x = 2 and y = 5.... and 2 is greater than 5. and if we look back at the equation, variable with bigger multiplier is smaller
simplyjat

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Re: Math question from kaplan math workbook

by kiskopata » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:48 pm
DarNoor wrote:First, i want to say that this is a great site. This is my first post. I just got the kaplan math workbook to brush up on my math. And wouldn't you know it, i am stumped on one of the problems in the quizes. I just can't understand the explanation. I will type out the problem and the corrct answer. Could someone please tell me how the arrived at the answer?

x<y<z
x<z<y
y<x<z this was my answer
z<y<x

The explanation is that since all the terms are positive, we know that it takes more y's than z's to equal one x. Therefore, x is the biggest, followed by z, and y is the smallest.

Wouldn't y be the largest? Followed by z and then ending in x? If anyone has the same book, the question is on page 23 and the answer is on page 77. Thanks for the help.
multiply everything by 100
4x=500y=200z
x=125y=50z
so definitely x is the largest of all
Now for y and z, we have 5y=2z
or z=2.5y
So, z is greater than y
so we got x>z>y or y<z<x

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 pm
DarNoor wrote:First, i want to say that this is a great site. This is my first post. I just got the kaplan math workbook to brush up on my math. And wouldn't you know it, i am stumped on one of the problems in the quizes. I just can't understand the explanation. I will type out the problem and the corrct answer. Could someone please tell me how the arrived at the answer?

x<y<z
x<z<y
y<x<z this was my answer
z<y<x
Let's use positive real numbers for x, y, and z.

If we let x = 1000, then 0.04x = 40.

Thus:

5y = 40

y = 8

Finally:

2z = 40

z = 20

So we see that y < z < x.

Answer: D.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage