Many professional

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Many professional

by YellowSapphire » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 pm
Source: Veritas Prep CR2

35. Many professional economists describe economics as a science. Sciences, however, are by definition non-normative: they describe but they do not prescribe. Yet economists are often called on to recommend a course of action for governments and financial institutions. Therefore, since econo-mists play a prescriptive role in society, economics should not be thought of as science.

The reasoning in the argument is flawed because the argument...

A: treats closely related aspects of a discipline as separate and distinct from each other.
B: attacks the proponents of a claim rather than addressing the merits of the claim itself.
C: insists on a change in terminology when that change would have no practical consequences.
D: fails to recognize the significance of the distinction between a discipline and the people who Work within that discipline.
E: overlooks the necessity of divisions of labor within society.

OA: D
Last edited by YellowSapphire on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yellow Sapphire

Followed by:1 members

by ashokkadam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:50 pm
I think D.
YellowSapphire wrote:Source: Veritas Prep CR2

35. Many professional economists describe economics as a science. Sciences, however, are by definition non-normative: they describe but they do not prescribe. Yet economists are often called on to recommend a course of action for governments and financial institutions. Therefore, since econo-mists play a prescriptive role in society, economics should not be thought of as science.

The reasoning in the argument is flawed because the argument...

A: treats closely related aspects of a discipline as separate and distinct from each other.
B: attacks the proponents of a claim rather than addressing the merits of the claim itself.
C: insists on a change in terminology when that change would have no practical consequences.
D: fails to recognize the significance of the distinction between a discipline and the people who Work within that discipline.
E: overlooks the necessity of divisions of labor within society.
Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins.

by gmatrix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:04 pm
my pick D
conclusion:since econo-mists play a prescriptive role in society, economics should not be thought of as science.
hence....fails to recognize the significance of the distinction between a discipline and the people who Work within that discipline.
Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

by YellowSapphire » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:35 am
I got it.
Yellow Sapphire

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:01 am
I got it but with timing of 1:27
Is it ok...

After reading all options....i thought....if there were no relevance the question writer would not have said...economist do this...do this (in person)
so i thought D was it...
and indeed it was...
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.