manhattan vs. powerscore

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

manhattan vs. powerscore

by towerSpider » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:54 am
powerscore to read stimulus first, AND THEN question stem but manhattan says opposite. which one you choose? and what would be your reasoning. in my case, i would go with manhattan.
People are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own mind.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:58 pm
towerSpider wrote:powerscore to read stimulus first, AND THEN question stem but manhattan says opposite. which one you choose? and what would be your reasoning. in my case, i would go with manhattan.
What works best for you?
The reason MGMAT suggest to read que stem first is, sometime the conclusion is there in Question stem. And thats our prime objective in CR question to identify Conclusion.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:28 pm
I agree that ultimately what works best for you is going to be the correct method, however my preference is to read the stimulus first.

Since the questions ultimately relate to the passage, I know I'm going to have to understand it thoroughly no matter what - so I like to dive in right away. There is often more than one question for each CR, so you might as well have a strong understanding of the passage first.
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:55 pm
With a lengthy passage, as in Reading Comprehension, you need to grasp the passage first. A strong understanding of the passage will give you the answers to key questions such as the global ones before you even read the stem. Strategic reading will even tell you what the questions are likely to be.

However, with short Critical Reasoning stimuli, you need to know what you are looking for before you read the paragraph. Otherwise you will end up going back and rereading the stimulus, which is a waste of time.
Tani Wolff