Manhattan Scoring Questions

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Manhattan Scoring Questions

by chiller » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:23 am
Hi Manhattan GMAT experts,

I recently purchased the GMAT sample test bank from ManhattanGMAT. On the 3rd test I scored a 630 (Q40,V36). The Quant was at a 61% (17/34 - timed out) percentile and the verbal (25/41) was at a 81% percentile. How does that work? How come my Quant was at a lower percentile rating but it actually was of a higher score? Does this seem right? I am aiming for high 600s in the real GMAT, and how off am I based on this practice?

From my research the Manhattan GMAT is 50 SD from the real GMAT, what does that actually mean to my scores?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:39 am
Hi,

The percentile you get is separate from the score. Basically, while the score is stable, the percent you get compares you to how everybody else did on the exam. Therefore, in math, when you scored a 36, that means that 61% of the population scored lower than you, and 39% of the population scored higher than you. These percentages vary as the test taking population does. So, for example, a few years ago if you got a 750 on the GMAT you were in the 99th percentile, but now to be in the 99th percentile you need a 760 or above.

In terms of your goal score, if you are aiming for the high 600's, a 630 isn't a bad start. I would suggest making sure you are studying through more than just practice tests though. Make sure you learn the content and practice strategies rather than rushing through too many practice tests. Only take the tests once you know you have improved your overall knowledge.

Also, our exams come with analysis, so make sure you use that. Run the analysis on your exams and see where your weaknesses are. Are you answering a lot or the critical reasoning questions wrong? If so, focus on strategies for them, and practice critical reasoning problems before taking your next practice test. This type of focused studying should allow you to push your score higher.

In terms of our 50 point SD, this means that if you got a 630 on our test, your true ability level could be between 605 and 655. On the actual GMAT, the SD is around 30 points, which means that if you took the GMAT one day and got a 630, you could take it again the next day and get anywhere from a 645 to a 615.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by chiller » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Hey Caitlin,

Thanks for responding so quick. Although I am aiming for high-600s, I'll be quite content with mid-600s. I am writing the exam on the 17th, so its coming up pretty quick. I still have about 3 more test exmas to go through, and I've been going through all of OG12s questions. If I reset the exams after 6, will there be a high likelihood of repeats?

Would you say that I would be safe in attaining this score if I were to continue getting these on the sample tests, assuming anxiety etc... does not affect me on test day? I've written it once before, so I know what to expect. I just want to make sure I attain that score this time around.

Thanks.

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:39 am
Hi.

All of the questions on the exam come from a single large question bank and when you answer a question it gets frozen out of the bank so you don't see it again. After you've taken six exams, you have the opportunity to reset the exams. This means all the questions that were frozen out of the bank go back into the bank.

Our question bank is large enough that you should be able to take your 7th and 8th tests without too many repeats, especially if your score is improving (which would mean it would give you harder questions!) After that, you will probably start to see some repeats.

If you're scoring consistently in the mid 600's I'd say the chances are pretty good that your actual GMAT score will reflect your practice test scores. However, I would suggest taking the two free tests at mba.com as those use questions that previously appeared on the GMAT and so are a good indicators of your score. Also, as you said, there are a lot of factors on the test day that can throw you off. In the practice tests, make sure you're following the timing correctly (75 min each for quant and verbal and 8 minute breaks in between)and doing the essays. Also try to take the tests at the same time of day that your exam is scheduled.

This article has some good tips about being prepared for the GMAT: https://https.admin.manhattangmat.com/st ... stress.cfm

Good luck with your studying!
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT