Manhattan GMAT- GMAT Math - Elementary.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Manhattan GMAT- GMAT Math - Elementary.

by OptinumGmat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:37 am
Hi,

It's been seven years since I took a math course. I recently bought Manhattan GMAT math books since its been highly recommend by this community. I just opened the first chapter "Number Properties", and started going through the divisible rules and realized I understand the rules but don't know how to apply them.

For example: Rule # 8 if an integer is divisible by 2 THREE times or 8 one time then its an integer, however I don't remember how to divide. One example they give is that 23,456 is divisible by two three times its an integer. I just can't divide 456 by 2 in my head to reach that conclusion. What I'm asking is, is there a good math book that will reteach me how to divide long numbers such as above or shortcuts. I'm looking for something elementary.

Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:18 am
Do you have the Mprep Foundations of Math guide? It's designed to help students like you who are stuck on the basics. I'd start with that book before you move on to the content-specific guides. You can purchase here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/stor ... gmat-math/
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:29 am
Hi OptinumGmat,

For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those skills, you can restart your GMAT studies.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:38 am
There are a lot of great websites out there to learn basic mathematical concepts (like Khan Academy), HOWEVER none of them address GMAT-specific concepts and strategies (data sufficiency strategies for one). Also, users are often exposed to concepts that are not tested on the GMAT, and this can waste what remaining time you have.
If possible, I suggest sticking with resources that a specifically towards the GMAT.

Our free video course starts with the most basic concepts and works up to 800-level concepts and strategies. I'm sure there are other courses that do the same.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com