Manhattan CAT/VS GMAT Prep/VS Knewton CAT

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Manhattan CAT/VS GMAT Prep/VS Knewton CAT

by Exxtol » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:31 pm
Hello all:

Well I am completely stumped. I scored a 500 on my Knewton diagnostic about 6 weeks ago. This was after 6 years out of college and not looking at any algebra since 2004. Expectedly, I got a Q28. That being said, I took two more practice Cats from Knewton and received a 490 and 540. The 490 was after receiving the 540 about 3 weeks after I started the Knewton online course! Anyway, I took my first Manhattan Cat about 2 weeks ago and found the Quant section to be MUCH easier than the quant I saw on any of the Knewton Cats. On my first Manhattan Cat I scored a Q35. This was about a month after studying with Knewton.

In any event, I took my first GMAT prep diagnostic about a week ago and received a very discouraging Q21! I was really shocked by this as I had been studying for over a month and many of the algebraic concepts I had lost had come back to me. Moreover I though the Quant section on GMAT Prep was actually EASIER than the Manhattan or Knewton CATS. How I scored so low I do not know. The only thing I can attribute it to is that I had to take a painkiller before taking the practice CAT due to a splitting headache. In any event, I was completely performed by my performance. Then, a few days later I took another Manhatta Cat and scored a Q29 V38 (560 overall) :-(. Most of my errors were careless mistakes on the quant. It seems I'm really having trouble with the timing. I also had to take this while on a painkiller. Just my luck I'm having problems with migraines and headaches less than 3 weeks before the real thing.

Anyway.....my question is how accurate are the Manhattan CATS? I feel really comfortable with the math concepts there. Taking a Knewton CAT has been so discouraging. So much in fact that I don't look forward to taking the three I must take in order to qualify for a refund. I'm thinking Knewton purposely makes their practice CATS harder. Anyway thoughts on my wild performances?! Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:44 am
Exxtol wrote: my question is how accurate are the Manhattan CATS?
MGMAT quant is tougher than GMAT questions so its quite reliable. Verbal part is not that good in imitating GMAT questions though they are useful to spot your weak areas.
I feel really comfortable with the math concepts there.
If you are comfortable with the basics you shouldn't be having timing issues. You can concentrate on specific topics only after reaching 40s till then go through the basics. Try to make flash cards and review them often. As far as i know MGMAT quant books have been good enough to improve your score in a short time with all the basics and related OG problems. Practice less and analyze, review more.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Official Company Rep

by Jessie@Knewton » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:53 pm
Hey guys,

Another BTG poster had the same question about the scoring, the info you need is here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/knewton-cat- ... 97610.html

This is also a great reference, written by our VP of Research, who happens to be one of the original architects of adaptive testing:

https://www.knewton.com/blog/gmat/2010/0 ... rithm-faq/

Hope these help, let me know if you're still unclear on anything!

Thanks,

Jessie
Knewton GMAT Team