Manhattan CAT

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Manhattan CAT

by maolivie » Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 pm
I just took my first Manhattan practice CAT and man that was much harder than gmat prep! My brain is fried. I think they redid their alogarithm too to make the scoring tougher.
Unfortunately, I only got a 620. I want to get a 680 by august on the real deal

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by maolivie » Fri May 18, 2007 1:34 pm
strange, today I took another and got a 660...that is a 40 point improvement in one day

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vs_mnr_it » Sun May 20, 2007 12:25 am
yep, It's strange for me too. Quants seems to be much tougher than prep one and verbal is easy than prep. I scored 750 even after 8 wrongs in quants and 10 in verbal.
I was running out of time in quants which is the case only with MGMAT CAT.
Vineet Singh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon May 28, 2007 9:53 pm
We actually adjusted our algorithm in April because it was OVERreporting scores in the verbal section (giving people higher scores than they should have gotten).

The test does NOT score you on # right / wrong. The algorithm relies mostly on the difficulty level of the questions you answer. You can get about half the questions wrong and still score a 700.

Also a 40 point change is within the standard deviation (about 50 points) - so that is not a statistically significant change (unfortunately, since it 40 points up!). Nor is it strange at all to see that kind of change (up or down) - that's exactly what to expect, actually. The official test has a standard deviation of about 30 points.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me