major disappointment

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

major disappointment

by pindan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:05 am
hi
bombed the gmat yesterday, first attempt,am not too gr8 in quant, and pretty average in english as well, but i have been working pretty hard on these for the past 5 months, though serious studies started only after i bukd the date(a month ago).quant was pretty okay i think , the questions wer average only, in between got 1 probability and a p & c ques,which made me pretty confident about my performance,then started off wid verbal , except the last two RCs ,which were too lengthy and awk, i thought i was doin pretty well, got a bold faced CR question as the 14th question. but when i saw the scores , i was devastated by the dismal scores. it was Q42,V28 , i cud not believe that everythg was happening. an overall score of 540, the lowest ever even in my mocks,the highest being 640 in the gmatprep2, wherein i managed to score a 34 in verbal and a 45 in quant. So it was pretty tuf for me to accept that i ve spoiled it all. i am targeting a score more than 700, i know am not prepared enuf to target that score, but i ve no choice but to achieve somethg more than 720-730, as i am targeting to get into ISB,and keeping in mind my IT background, i have to score it big to improve my chances.its not possible for this year anyway as the deadline ends dec1 , and i think i need mmore time to practice, dun wana see the same results again.my weak area as i ve noticed is data suff in quant, and prob solv is also not too gr8, feel eng is better , not gr8 though. please advice on my strategies and the resources i should follow.i have attended princeton's classroom sessions, i find their tests are useless, way below standard of actual gmat.please guide.

by pindan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 am
Please somebody suggest something valuable.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mani090406 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:43 am
Hey Man!!! Just want to tell you that you don't have to give up...at least not like this.

First : Your Positives
1) You put decent number of months in your prep. That means you have the focus..just have to take it to the next level.

2) You have done only Princeton which provide only the base and hence a plenty of scope for improvement.

My Advice:

Maths: Get the entire set of Manhattan Maths material. I have done the entire set and believe me its great. Practice all OG 11 and OG 12 problems and analyze what error you make. Keep a log of those errors and revise them..maybe every week.

SC : Manhattan SC guide..its the Bible for SC...

CR : Powerscore CR bible..again bible for CR

RC : read a lot and i mean a lot..visit sites like NYtimes, Scientific America.., ..read articles on history, science, editorials etc.

Enroll yourself for 6 Manhattan test. Detailed analysis of every mistake is given in these Test.

I don't regularly comment on blog due to work pressure but i have taken time out specially to advise you.

So please don't give up on any thing. And to inspire you ..i have done the above and my score in Mocks has improved from 620 to 740
mayank

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:33 am
I agree with Mani.

1.GMAT is tricky. At the outset it seems to be easy.But its NOT.Plan out a charter for urself.
Identify the weak points.Mostly it should in terms of "conceptual weakness" and a small portion of " application weakness".

2.DS is Tricky. No doubt.Identify the traps.

3. Always go step by step. Like a athelete try to improvise on ur strengths & work up on ur weakness.

4.Use excel sheets for tracking ur performance. At EOD u will have some date by which u can quantitatively weigh ur progress.

5.Above all use a TIMER for each & every question. there is no point in solving a question with out timer becox All the questions are answerable with in or less than 3 mins but u dont have the legacy to spend 3 mins for any question if ur eyeing for ISB.

6.CR is tough to certain extent.Spend more time on that.

7. The thing that finally matters is " I should be in ISB...that spirit will propel u to invent strategies for your ownself".Give some time for ur grey matter to function..He is very powerful than our own selves....

by pindan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 am
hey

thx guys, for all the inputs, i did some research on the resources, but i am confused about whether to go with kaplan material or manhattan for quant. i specifically want to focus on data sufficiency , i have OG11 and 12 wid me.

what do u think ??

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbamaverick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:10 pm
Go for Manhattan books..