MAcc Programs in Pennsylvania

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

MAcc Programs in Pennsylvania

by dmf5238 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:20 pm
I'm a newbie to this site, so hello world! :)

I'm finishing my undergrad this December at Penn State with an Accounting major; looking at about a 3.85-3.9 GPA. The CPA regulations in my state are changing, and I will need a master's degree to become licensed.

To achieve this, I have weighed my options and I feel that a MAcc (Master's of Accountancy) will be my best bet, as opposed to just going the MBA route and taking tons of Accounting electives.

I'm pretty sure I'm staying in-state for my MAcc program (out of state cost is ludicrous), so I have been looking around at my options; my adviser recommended Pitt and Temple as both having solid MAccs at comparable costs. I also recently came across Villanova's MAC program, which is more of an accelerated program as it knocks out 18 credits over summer, then you finish part time over the following fall and spring semesters with 6 credits each.

So anyway, I'm trying to get some direction. I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but Pitt suggests 600-700, Temple requires 70th percentile GMAT or GRE scores, and Villanova requires neither. I think I'm going to seriously struggle in the Quantitative section of the GMAT as I have not had geometry-type math since 9th grade, and even then I didn't get a very thorough grasp of it. I feel like the verbal section will be my strong point, as I have a pretty strong sense for when something is wrong grammatically, and I also worked at my college for a couple semesters as a writing tutor.

I've started doing some beginning review via the GMATPrep software, and as suspected, the quant section is definitely my weak point.

Considering this, do you have any recommendations for which direction I should be going? Are there other good MAcc-type programs in Pennsylvania?

Huge thanks for any and all suggestions or thoughts!