Looking for the right school

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Looking for the right school

by neha.patni » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:57 am
Hey

I am an Indian female aspiring aiming to get admission in a Top Tier Asian B schools. please have a look at my profile

BE (Mechanical) with 5.5 years experience in Sales, Marketing & Business Development. At present working with TUV India Pvt. Ltd., as Business Development - Sri Lanka. Previously associated with Pyrotech Electronics Pvt. Ltd. as Dy. Manager (Marketing).

GMAT - 660/5.0 (2nd attempt)

ORGANISATIONAL EXPERIENCE - CURRENT

TUV India Pvt. Ltd. Business Development September '08-Till Date

Key Result Areas:

Business Development:

 Strategy Planning, Implementing Business Dev. strategies, Market survey & competition analysis and assessing unexplored market segments/ customer groups for business expansion
 Developing business relations with Consultants thereby facilitating regular client exchange.
 Close coordination with the major trade Chambers/Associations.
 Customer Engagement Activities, Training & Knowledge development
 Handling Key Accounts for CDM (Clean Development Mechanism) Validation Business.
 Generating opportunities to work in untapped sectors such as tourism and engineering industries.
 Instrumental in promoting the TUV's Pre-Inspection & Third Party Inspection services in Sri Lanka

ORGANISATIONAL EXPERIENCE - PREVIOUS

Pyrotech Electronics Pvt. Ltd. Dy. Manager (Mrkt.) August'04-Jan'08

Key Result Areas:

Marketing:

 Market Research, Presentations thereby leading to Increased Customer Basket.
 Participation in Exhibitions and Business Meets thus asserting market presence while making the client aware about the new developments.
 Mapping client's requirements and providing them customized business solutions through new proposals, presentations and demonstrations.
 Business opportunity mapping & Product development.

Sales:

 Financial Analysis and Order Negotiations there by achieving the assigned Targets.
 Keeping a track of competitor's activities and pricing level.
 Coordinating with branch offices for sales support activities.
 Sales Analysis by studying product share in Turnover, Lost Order Analysis.

Business Development:

 Focussing on product visibility to OEM's, End Customers and consultants thus increasing the sales of entire product range.

Please suggest, which Asian schools should I apply into. Do I stand a good chance in NUS, Nanyang, Great Lakes, etc.?

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 am
Your metrics are certainly right in line with the grade averages and GMAT scores for the schools on your list. The fact that you are working in marketing and business development rather than IT or engineering should work in your favor. I find that topmba.com has excellent resources for looking at international business schools. I have had several applicants do well at HKUST in Hong Kong. Schools such as ISB and IIM tend to be very difficult to get into because of the large number of applicants.

Your broad experience outside of strictly technical fields should be an advantage. If you have had direct supervisory experience, be sure to emphasize that, since it will be a weakness in the applications of many of your competitors from technical fields. An experienced admissions consultant should be a great help in putting together an application that will focus on your strengths and make you stand out from the crowd.

Good luck,
Tani Wolff

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by neha.patni » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 pm
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:Your metrics are certainly right in line with the grade averages and GMAT scores for the schools on your list. The fact that you are working in marketing and business development rather than IT or engineering should work in your favor. I find that topmba.com has excellent resources for looking at international business schools. I have had several applicants do well at HKUST in Hong Kong. Schools such as ISB and IIM tend to be very difficult to get into because of the large number of applicants.

Your broad experience outside of strictly technical fields should be an advantage. If you have had direct supervisory experience, be sure to emphasize that, since it will be a weakness in the applications of many of your competitors from technical fields. An experienced admissions consultant should be a great help in putting together an application that will focus on your strengths and make you stand out from the crowd.

Good luck,
Hey Tani

Thanks for such a positive advice. My perception of admissions into B schools was that only the GMAT scores matter and even though I have got an international experience, I will not be able to make it to any of the asian b school of my choice. In fact I was planning to write GMAT again next month. But your reply has definitely filled me with a positive energy. I will go through the website suggested by you. I understand that you also do MBA admission consultancy. Am i right?

Thanks once again

neha

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am
I'm glad I was helpful.

Yes, I do admissions consulting for Kaplan. If you want to work with me you can see my bio on their website and can ask for me specifically.

Good luck
Tani Wolff