Looking for Math Private Tutor

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Looking for Math Private Tutor

by choplace » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm
Hi,

I've been studying close to two months with lots of materials (Online MGMAT, OG, Kaplan Quiz Bank, Princeton, etc.) but feel like it's not improving. I'm averaging ~560, and my goal is 740+.

If I'm looking for a tutor at this point, would it be better to have tutor to focus and master the math first as it's easier for me than the verbal?

I need to do well on verbal of course, but I really want to master math. My goal for math is to get above 97 percentile, and I want someone who makes sure to reach that goal (assuming I'm 200% dedicated to do the necessary work on my part).

The private tutor programs from the obvious companies are too expansive. I live in Santa Clara, but willing to drive some miles if neccesary, can anyone please recommend free-lance tutors?

I checked the list from the www.gmatix.com, but would like to know if anyone found a really good source from a word-of-mouth or craigslist.

Hope to hear lots of good references and recommendation.

Please help me. ^_^;
Thanks much!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by zeal_huyi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:55 am
Looks like you've been studying really hard. Before you get a private tutor, I'd suggest check out the GMAT math study sheet at GmathMathSheet.com. I think you should master the concepts and techniques in that study sheet first.

by choplace » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:00 pm
Thanks, zeal_huyi.
I will try that site.

hi

by oliviabrown8 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 am
It seems you are working too hard…GMAT needs more practice... Keep taking many online practice tests. My favorite site is https://www.examville.com. I do take many free online practice tests and see my score card. You can also get study materials free to download.Try that out..May be useful for you too..All the Very Best!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by zeal_huyi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Let me know what you think of the math study sheet. I liked it a lot because it is organized and has very useful tips.

by choplace » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:58 am
gmatsheet was good in a way that it shows you all the formula in one place. But it doesn't give any hints on how to apply these formula to which type and its variations of the questions.

Thanks all for the reply!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 pm
To see formulas and strategies applied to official GMAT questions, take a look at the materials from GMATFix. In particular the Official Guide Companion which seems to do exactly what you want, and/or the GMATPrep Solutions engine if you use GMATPrep tests.