B

C

D

E

Global Stats

vikram4689 wrote:
sameerballani wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:
C. that the birds themselves are vanishing in the northeastern United States is due to residential and industrial development and changes to
I think the problem with this sentence is that it is not a sentence as subject for verb "is" is missing. Birds(subject) has are(verb) but "is" does not have any subject.

I agree. Also dont u feel "that" in starting is ambiguous.
Also dont u think parallelism issue is also there.

Well "that" can be used after ' , '
e.g. Like the shirt of Alex, that of Bob is dirty.
Yes || seem to be an issue

But in this case you are creating a copy of a shirt. Ok may be we can use that just like we can use because, etc. But dont u think by using that there's a comparison issue also !!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by minhchau1986 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:27 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I had hard time for this questions. I chose D as my answer choice but I overlooked the vanishing and got trapped at the parallell problem. This question tests subject vert agreement as well. For Parallel part, should compare noun with noun.....
Like the grassy fields, .......bird......
Eliminated D, and E for illogical parallel.

C is awkward because of " that"

It is down to answer B and A

A: eliminated because not comparable: Sandpipers are plural, "is " is incorrect.

Chose B but still wonder " the bird itself is vanishing" should be plus so " like the grassy fields and old pastures" are paralleled. But I knew it compares to sandpiper. Does that mean " like" stands before sandpiper?

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

minhchau1986 wrote: Chose B but still wonder " the bird itself is vanishing" should be plus so " like the grassy fields and old pastures" are paralleled. But I knew it compares to sandpiper. Does that mean " like" stands before sandpiper?
Thanks
If we want to compare 2 entities that are NOT are parallel we use reflexive nouns itself/themselves with one of the noun so that comparison is legal.
Here grass field and sandpiper are not || but we want to compare them to show that BOTH are vanishing because of same reason - result of residential and industrial development and of changes in farming practices
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)