Lie Detectors

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pinchharmonic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am
sui generis wrote:
(E) who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn
Choice E is grammatically correct but it changes the meaning.

How can we conclude that the intended meaning is the one implied in choice A ?

If choice A were grammatically incorrect then would choice E be the correct answer ?
*edit

answer choice E:
The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual who creates unconscious physiological responses in turn

because "in turn" is at the end of the sentence, it does sound like "lying produces emotional reactions in an individual who happens to create unconscious physiological responses"

if "in turn" was inserted before "creates", it would make more sense to me, as it answers the "why" for the verb create. why create? create in turn or in response to something before. when at the end of the sentence it could be a noun modifier modifying responses

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual who, in turn, creates unconscious physiological responses

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 am
Thanks Stacey!!! for a wonderful wonderful explanation...\
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 am
pinchharmonic wrote:The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual who, in turn, creates unconscious physiological responses
the versions of this sentence with "who creates..." don't make sense. if the responses are unconscious, then the individual himself/herself is, by definition, not creating them.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:34 am
seriously i am shocked by reading your explanation ....n a few more of ur post .r u seriously teaching for gmat ?
EducationAisle wrote:
voodoo_child wrote: What's a difference between "the government of country X and country Y" vs. "the government of country X and that of country Y" ? I believe both are same. Correct ?

Thanks
Voodoo

Well, the interpretation would would actually depend upon the entire sentence. Let's take an example:

The government of country X and country Y has decided to amend the constitution.

The above sentence would actually be correct, since the sentence would genuinely mean that the author wants to suggest that both country X and country Y have the same government (though it does not sound very logical).

A bigger problem is with the following sentence:

The government of country X and country Y have decided to amend the constitution.

This sentence has a bigger meaning issue since it can be interpreted either as:

a) (The government of country X) and (The government of) country Y have decided to amend the constitution. OR

b) (The government of country X) and country Y have decided to amend the constitution.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by agautam7879 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 am
Stacey -.

Could you please let me know that out of A and D why is A is better when there is that right next to the individual .... because according to the grammatical rule - My understanding has been that - that when acting as a pronoun should always modify the noun preceding it...I understand that C is wrong but than I would go with D because it does not have a pronoun issue atleast....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 am
Thanks Stacy .. Really admire your explanations !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 am
agautam7879 wrote:Stacey -
fyi, stacey hasn't posted here for about 2 years.
Could you please let me know that out of A and D why is A is better when there is that right next to the individual .... because according to the grammatical rule - My understanding has been that - that when acting as a pronoun should always modify the noun preceding it...I understand that C is wrong but than I would go with D because it does not have a pronoun issue atleast....
your understanding is incorrect.

that can do either of 2 things:
1/
it can modify the closest noun.
2/
it can describe a noun followed by essential modifiers.

this latter function is essential; if that were not allowed to have such a function, then many such nouns would be impossible to describe.

examples:

ThingyFinder is a new technology for locating small objects that is going to be launched next month.
--> here, that is going to be launched next month describes "a new technology for locating small objects".

ThingyFinder is a new technology for locating small objects that are often misplaced.
--> here, that are often misplaced describes "small objects".
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by riyazgilani » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:44 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Ok, thanks for the source. Let's use some different sentences to examine the principle. :)

The original sentence:

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physical responses. (Yes, I know the meaning of the sentence is kind of amusing - I'm trying to match some singular and plural stuff in the original sentence!)

The "in turn" bit is just a little modifier tossed in to break up the sentence a bit and confuse you. Ignore it!

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual that create unconscious physical responses.

Core:
The use <of X> is based on the assumption that studying produces <Y>.

Modifier Y:
hormones <in A> that create <Z> responses

No problems with core or modifier so far. I assume that the people who chose C thought there was something wrong with A, so let me know what you thought was wrong.

Now, adapting our new sentence for choice C:

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual creating, in turn, unconscious physical responses.

Core:
The use <of X> is based on the assumption that studying produces <Y>.

Modifier Y:
hormones <in an individual creating responses?>

Still no problem in the core. That modifier, though... that's messy. There's no comma between "individual" and "creating" and that's a big problem. Try this phrase:
"stress in an individual studying hard for the GMAT"

What does that "studying hard for the GMAT" refer to? In this sentence, it's modifying the individual - and that makes sense.

But what about our example above? It's ambiguous here - "individual" is a candidate for the noun, because an individual can create unconscious responses... and so can the hormones... and, hey, so can studying! Which is it? Ambiguity = bad.

Note that there is no ambiguity in A, because the conjugated verb "create" can match only with a plural subject, so it must match with the plural "hormones." Now we know that it's definitely the hormones creating the responses. :)
Hi stacy..!
what i thought was wrong about choice A is : that can even modify individual and not necessarily reaction..? this ambiguity would change the meaning.
How can we be sure that in option A that refers to reactions only and not Individuals. (note both are plural and both can create unconscious psychological responses.)
pls help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:28 am
riyazgilani wrote: what i thought was wrong about choice A is : that can even modify individual and not necessarily reaction..? this ambiguity would change the meaning.
How can we be sure that in option A that refers to reactions only and not Individuals. (note both are plural and both can create unconscious psychological responses.)
pls help
Check my two posts here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/lie-detector-t283960.html
In the second post, I explain the usage of that in the OA.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3