Lie Detectors

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 am
EducationAisle wrote: A bigger problem is with the following sentence:

The government of country X and country Y have decided to amend the constitution.

This sentence has a bigger meaning issue since it can be interpreted either as:

a) (The government of country X) and (The government of) country Y have decided to amend the constitution. OR

b) (The government of country X) and country Y have decided to amend the constitution.
whoa, no.

(a) is a grammatically invalid interpretation, because "the government" is singular -- no amount of wrangling with supposedly omitted words is going to make it agree with the plural verb "have decided". so that's straight-up wrong.

(b) also doesn't work; this time the problem is meaning-based -- the parallel construction is nonsense, because you can't legitimately have the government of country X in parallel with country Y itself.
the only parallel structures that make sense are (1) two countries, or (2) two governments.

so that sentence is wrong no matter which way you decide to cut it.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:42 am
Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. Not sure I understand your comment on a). This is a compound subject, so, 'have' should be correct.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 am
EducationAisle wrote:Hi Ron, thanks for your reply. Not sure I understand your comment on a). This is a compound subject, so, 'have' should be correct.
nope.

the words that are actually written there are
The government of country X and country Y

note that the boldface word is singular. this means, unambiguously, that there is exactly one government in question, and that this government controls both countries.
you cannot wave your hand and create a previously nonexistent compound noun out of thin air; the only valid way in which to interpret this structure is
singular noun + (modifier containing parallel structure)

as an analogy, "a plate of spaghetti and meatballs" is definitively ONE plate, on which there are two foods; under no circumstances can this phrase be interpreted as describing two plates.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by EducationAisle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 am
ok. How about this:

The children of Michael and Michelle are studying in college.

This can mean:

a) The children of Michael and (children of) Michelle are studying in college.
b) The children of (Michael and Michelle) are studying in college.

How is this different from the previous example?
Ashish
www.EducationAisle.com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by LIL » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 am
EducationAisle wrote:ok. How about this:

The children of Michael and Michelle are studying in college.

This can mean:

a) The children of Michael and (children of) Michelle are studying in college.
b) The children of (Michael and Michelle) are studying in college.

How is this different from the previous example?
i think it's different because "children" is the plural of "child," whereas "government" is not the plural of "government."

e.g. it would be okay to say "the governments of country x and country y are democratic" > both country x and country y have democratic governments. but if you say "the government of country x and country y is democratic" > both country x and country y have the same *single* government, and it's democratic. you can't say "the government of country x and country y *are* democratic," because "government" is single.

in the same way, you can't say "the children of michael and michelle *is* studying at college," because "children" is plural.
Last edited by LIL on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by EducationAisle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:29 am
LIL wrote: e.g. it would be okay to say "the governments of country x and country y are democratic" > both country x and country y have democratic governments.
What is preventing me from interpreting the above statement as if both country x and country y have multiple governments?
Ashish
www.EducationAisle.com

Followed by:27 members

by LIL » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm
EducationAisle wrote:
LIL wrote: e.g. it would be okay to say "the governments of country x and country y are democratic" > both country x and country y have democratic governments.
What is preventing me from interpreting the above statement as if both country x and country y have multiple governments?
you can also interpret it this way. for example, if i said "the governments of spain and italy..." a certain group of people (FREE CATALUNYA) would probably think i *was* talking about at least 3 governments. still this is beside the point, because while the plural "governments" can refer to many governments, the singular "government" can still only refer to one.

so while you can interpret the sentence, "the governments of spain and italy" as:

a) the (2) governments of spain and italy...
b) the (6) governments of spain and italy...
c) the (6000) governments of spain and italy...
d) etc.

you can't interpret "the government of spain and italy" as anything other than "the single government of spain and italy" -- under no circumstances can you use "the government" to refer to "the governments"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm
good discussion, but i think we're getting a bit off topic here.

the main point is this:
SINGULAR NOUN + modifier(s) is always SINGULAR.
PLURAL NOUN + modifier(s) is always PLURAL.

e.g., if you see the government + modifier(s), then it's singular -- it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what's in the modifier, because it's a modifier. this is the whole point of modifiers -- they give additional information without changing anything about the surrounding grammar.

this is one of the VERY few things about english grammar that is extremely simple and has zero exceptions, so let's keep it that way!

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:41 pm
lunarpower wrote:
voodoo_child wrote:What's a difference between "the government of country X and country Y" vs. "the government of country X and that of country Y" ? I believe both are same. Correct ?

Thanks
Voodoo
they are not the same.

"the government [singular] of country x and y" implies that there is only a single government for both countries x and y.

"the government of country x and that of country y" implies the more reasonable meaning that the two countries have separate governments. note that you could achieve the same effect with "the governments [plural] of country x and (of) country y".
Aah. Yes, it makes sense now.

I have a different question. Why did we not choose (b) as an answer? How can I know that 'that' modifies reactions and not individual ? If 'that' modifies 'reactions' then the verb would be 'create'. Similarly 'individual' will require 'creates' . Is it that we have to understand the meaning and then decide about correct Subj-Verb form or is it that I am missing some grammar rule ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Voodoo Child

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27 pm
voodoo_child wrote:How can I know that 'that' modifies reactions and not individual ?
Is it that we have to understand the meaning and then decide about correct Subj-Verb form
this is it. it depends on meaning.
(for a similar problem, see diagnostic #50 in og11 or og12.)

additional example:
diseases in mice that have been documented over the past few years... --> context dictates that the modifier modifies "diseases in mice"
diseases in mice that have been overdosed with drug X... --> context dictates that the modifier modifies "mice"

--

... although, in this particular problem, "individual" isn't a grammatically valid referent, anyway -- an individual is a person, so "that" can't modify this word (you'd have to use "who").

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by voodoo_child » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 pm
lunarpower wrote:
voodoo_child wrote:How can I know that 'that' modifies reactions and not individual ?
Is it that we have to understand the meaning and then decide about correct Subj-Verb form
this is it. it depends on meaning.
(for a similar problem, see diagnostic #50 in og11 or og12.)

additional example:
diseases in mice that have been documented over the past few years... --> context dictates that the modifier modifies "diseases in mice"
diseases in mice that have been overdosed with drug X... --> context dictates that the modifier modifies "mice"

--

... although, in this particular problem, "individual" isn't a grammatically valid referent, anyway -- an individual is a person, so "that" can't modify this word (you'd have to use "who").
Awesome explanation, Ron. Thank you so much. At least, I am feeling confident that my conjectures are correct!. Thanks again. I simply don't have words.

-Voodoo Child

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kirans123 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:59 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Ok, thanks for the source. Let's use some different sentences to examine the principle. :)

The original sentence:

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physical responses. (Yes, I know the meaning of the sentence is kind of amusing - I'm trying to match some singular and plural stuff in the original sentence!)

The "in turn" bit is just a little modifier tossed in to break up the sentence a bit and confuse you. Ignore it!

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual that create unconscious physical responses.

Core:
The use <of X> is based on the assumption that studying produces <Y>.

Modifier Y:
hormones <in A> that create <Z> responses

No problems with core or modifier so far. I assume that the people who chose C thought there was something wrong with A, so let me know what you thought was wrong.

Now, adapting our new sentence for choice C:

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual creating, in turn, unconscious physical responses.

Core:

Modifier Y:
hormones <in an individual creating responses?>

Still no problem in the core. That modifier, though... that's messy. There's no comma between "individual" and "creating" and that's a big problem. Try this phrase:
"stress in an individual studying hard for the GMAT"

What does that "studying hard for the GMAT" refer to? In this sentence, it's modifying the individual - and that makes sense.

But what about our example above? It's ambiguous here - "individual" is a candidate for the noun, because an individual can create unconscious responses... and so can the hormones... and, hey, so can studying! Which is it? Ambiguity = bad.

Note that there is no ambiguity in A, because the conjugated verb "create" can match only with a plural subject, so it must match with the plural "hormones." Now we know that it's definitely the hormones creating the responses. :)

Modifier Y:
hormones <in A> that create <Z> responses....

I do not understand pronoun "that" refers to what??
Can u please clear my doubt..?

Followed by:2 members

by Sanjay2706 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:32 am
A for me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 am
kirans123 wrote:Modifier Y:
hormones <in A> that create <Z> responses....

I do not understand pronoun "that" refers to what??
Can u please clear my doubt..?
it refers to "hormones".
be sure to go back and look at the entire sentence from which this example came; it's impossible to figure these things out without the context/meaning of the sentence.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by Kajiabeat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:57 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:Ok, thanks for the source. Let's use some different sentences to examine the principle. :)

The original sentence:

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physical responses. (Yes, I know the meaning of the sentence is kind of amusing - I'm trying to match some singular and plural stuff in the original sentence!)

The "in turn" bit is just a little modifier tossed in to break up the sentence a bit and confuse you. Ignore it!

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual that create unconscious physical responses.

Core:

Modifier Y:
hormones <in A> that create <Z> responses

No problems with core or modifier so far. I assume that the people who chose C thought there was something wrong with A, so let me know what you thought was wrong.

Now, adapting our new sentence for choice C:

The use of GMAT books is based on the assumption that studying produces hormones in an individual creating, in turn, unconscious physical responses.

Core:

Modifier Y:
hormones <in an individual creating responses?>

Still no problem in the core. That modifier, though... that's messy. There's no comma between "individual" and "creating" and that's a big problem. Try this phrase:
"stress in an individual studying hard for the GMAT"

What does that "studying hard for the GMAT" refer to? In this sentence, it's modifying the individual - and that makes sense.

But what about our example above? It's ambiguous here - "individual" is a candidate for the noun, because an individual can create unconscious responses... and so can the hormones... and, hey, so can studying! Which is it? Ambiguity = bad.
Note that there is no ambiguity in A, because the conjugated verb "create" can match only with a plural subject, so it must match with the plural "hormones." Now we know that it's definitely the hormones creating the responses. :)
Hi Ron,according to Stacy's explanation, it seems we can also choose E, isn't it?
Last edited by Kajiabeat on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.