Last-minute advice needed!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Last-minute advice needed!

by MonicaKhan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:49 pm
My exam is on Tuesday, but I don't think I'm ready to take it, as I don't think that I can score over 700 (my target range).

After 2 months of studying (really only one month of intensive practice), which included taking the Kaplan prep course, as well as practicing problems from the PR book, OG11, and the Manhattan GMAT Prep SC guide, I just scored 640 (42Q, 38V) on the GMATPrep exam. I've taken about 7 Kaplan exams on which I generally scored between 600 and 650. I didn't fret too much about my Kaplan scores because everyone said that they were underinflated by 50-100 points. However, after scoring a 640 on the GMATPrep exam, I'm not so sure I should take the plunge this Tuesday.

This scoring range makes me nervous. I think that I still have a lot of room to improve in the Quant section, as I am still making a ton of careless errors. I'm much more confident about the Quant section now, and 90% of the time, I know how to solve the problem, but I'm still making careless errors, which are significantly hurting my score. Moreover, I think I can do a better of job of employing backsolving/strategic guessing techniques in order to save time and not feel rushed at the end of the section. For these two reasons, I really think I need to spend some more time practicing Quant problems to square away these careless errors and pick up my pace. Generally on the quant, I score well on the 1st half, and then get almost every other question wrong in the 2nd half because I start rushing.

There is so much material that I didn't cover thoroughly, including the OG books. I completed 80% of the main OG book, but I think I need to complete the entire book and complete the additional Quant and Verbal practice guides to really ensure that I've covered the information. Moreover, I think I could've ventured into the Manhattan GMAT guides, which I've heard are really helpful.

I could be overanalyzing this, but I really think I should reconsider taking the exam on Tuesday. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I have no problem rescheduling the exam to 1 month from now, so if you think that's what I should do, please feel be open and let me know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I really need an objective second opinon.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by allenkt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:36 pm
I may not be the most qualified person to answer this question, but I think if you are not pressed for time and the extra $ (I think it's $50) doesn't bother you then go ahead and wait that extra month. Even if you are ready now, it sounds like you would psych yourself out and do poorly just because you weren't mentally ready. So reschedule, study and relax. The last thing you want to do is go into the GMAT all stressed out.

Karl

Agreed - I'm rescheduling it for June. I'm planning to revise my study plan to focus on primarily the Official Guides. However, I think my biggest concern is on improving my Quantitative score and I need to figure out a way to properly address this. I'm confident about the material - I don't often have questions about how to figure something out. My problem is timing, and as a result, accuracy. I'll get the 1st half of the section, maybe two wrong at most, and then get most of the second half completely wrong, because I spent so much time trying to get the first half right that I don't have much time to really even read some questions.

In addition to doing ALL of the questions in the Official Guides and reviewing ALL of the official explanations, I think Kaplan 800 should help me get there (based on what I've read on various postings). Any other thoughts on how to raise the bar on quant?? I think all I need to do is pick up the pace.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:05 pm
The first thing you need to do is let some of the questions in the first half of the test go. No matter how good you get, you will be given questions that you cannot do in a reasonable amount of time (about 2 min per question). If you continue to try to do every problem, you will always find yourself rushing during the 2nd half of the test. And you will not be able to score a 700 if this is the case.

If you still have access to your teacher from your course, try to schedule a talk to discuss the importance of letting some questions to go in order to maintain a solid pace throughout the test - and also how to do this (how do you know when you should really try vs. when you should make an educated guess and move on? how do you make educated guesses when you decide that's what you need to do? etc.)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tali-p » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:42 pm
Hi,

I am interested about your feedback on the Kaplan course,
How was it?
Do you recommend to take it?
Thanks,
Tali

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

Kaplan

by GCHall840 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:32 am
Hi Tali,
I took the Kaplan course before. But, they don't use the Official Guide to the GMAT at all in their course. For that one reason, I would not take a GMAT prep course from them, if I had to do it all over again.
Greg

by MonicaKhan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 pm
I completely agree with that opinion. Although the course offers a ton of online material, including 8 full-length CAT exams and plenty of quizzes and workshops, they don't incorporate the Official Guides, which I believe represent the best GMAT material on the sole basis that they contain questions created by the testmakers themselves. Although Kaplan's strategies were helpful, the problems/exams were harder, which sometimes made me feel deflated/overwhelmed.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tali-p » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:11 pm
Thanks guys!!!!
Your advices are so helpful!
This forum is awesome!

I have decided to start studying with PR book and then to decide whether to take a course (maybe online..) or not.... what do you think?

Thanks,
Tali