last 15 days strategy advice

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

last 15 days strategy advice

by kunsjoi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 am
I've been studying for GMAT since close to almost 2 months now. My test date is about 15 days from now.

I think I have done a lot of reviewing of Prep material for both Quant and Verbal (OG 11, Kaplan Online course, Kaplan 800, Princeton books, GMAT Math bible, Powerscore CR bible). I have completely solved the OG 11. I have carefully reviewed my answers for mistakes or alternate strategies. I intend to solve last few questions of OG 11 again next week.

From practice tests point of view I've done the following:
GmatPrep 1 (Start of prepartion): 580
Kaplan Diagnostic (Start of preparation): 550
GmatPrep 1 (retake -- 2 weeks into preparation): 650
Gmat paper based test 1 -- 680
Kaplan Online CAT 1 (recent): 580
Kaplan Online CAT 2 (recent): 700

Apart from the above I have done few Gmatclub tests, 800 Score math tests.

I intend to take the remaining Kaplan online CATs, MGMAT online CATs, GmatPrep Test 2, PowerPrep in next couple of weeks.

---------

Do you folks have any specific recommendations as to how should I schedule taking all of the above tests? Any specific order? What should be my frequency? Should I try giving 2 per day?

Also regarding AWA, any recommendations how to prepare? Also all the above tests I took I skipped the AWA sections. Is that a good idea? (I guess not).

Thanks for all the help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:790

by Toph@GMAT_REBOOT » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:30 am
If you get your hands on the OG-Supplemental Books (Math and Verbal aka Green and Purple), that may/probably be a better use of your time than Kaplan exams during your final two weeks. I mean I definitely took a couple of Princeton and Kaplan exams early on as an introduction to the CAT exam. However, once I got this close to the exam, I really only wanted to look at questions that were going to be like the ones on the real exam. I took a couple Manhattan exams during this time though just because of the limited number of CAT resources.

Definitely do the essays at least once or twice. I'd say write them for you next practice CAT. And then also write them when you take GMAT Prep 2, since you really want to simulate the testing experience with that exam.

Also, check out this thread: https://www.beatthegmat.com/last-14-days ... t5680.html

by kunsjoi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:20 pm
I've read reviews on the internet saying that a majority of questions in OG supplemental guides have been taken from OG 10. How true is that??

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:790

by Toph@GMAT_REBOOT » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:29 pm
I did not use OG10. Doing a quick scan with a google search, it seems that there is quite a bit of overlap between OG10 and the supplemental books.
Last edited by Toph@GMAT_REBOOT on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

by kunsjoi » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:04 pm
It does seem like there is a significant overlap between OG 10 and the supplemental guides.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/i-have-og10- ... 36-15.html

Though one of the advantages of supplemental guides is that they have better explanations of the solutions. Not sure if that merits purchasing the guides.