Langauage used in CR - Clarification

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Langauage used in CR - Clarification

by vidhya16 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 am
Guys,

A double-blind study, in which neither the patient nor the primary researcher knows whether the patient is being given the drug being tested or a placebo, is the most effective procedure for testing the efficacy of a drug. But we will not be able to perform such a study on this new drug, since the drug will have various effects on the patients¡¯ bodies, which will make us aware of whether the patients are getting the drug or a placebo.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a general consideration that introduces the argument; the second is a special situation that weighs against the first.

(B) The first is a general principle that is necessary for this argument; the second is an anti-consideration that the argument includes.

(C) The first is a premise that this argument includes; the second is a main idea that can be drawn from this argument.

(D) The first is an evidence that this argument includes; the second is a conclusion that can not be drawn from this argument.

(E) The first is a general situation that supports this argument; the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from a special fact.

I have drawn between A and B. Not sure whether first bold face is general consideration or Principle? Any clue for this type of options...

Ta

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:22 am
entire sentence is bold. :D please edit

by vidhya16 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 am
Entire sentence is included.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am
between A vs B, wil go wth A though.
not offering explanation at this point as do not want to convince myself or others wth wrong explanation, in short im not sure, but i will stick wth A.
whts the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:20 pm
IMO B

Before explanation, @vidhya this question makes me and rohu fool...even i thought to ask you the same question as @rohu does...thanks.. now if i see this type of question in my GMAT i am not gonna waste even a few seconds in confusion...now coming back to the question..

Only Op A and B seems to be the contender but choice B, seems correct as i find some flaws in Op A.

First i like the first line of Op B, that the first bold statement is necessary for the argument...indeed it is necessary...because the second bold statement which is only structure left..depend on the first bold part...Op A said that the first bold statement introduces the argument..nothing wrong just a bit incomplete in comparison to Op B, as something can initiate the argument but not necessarily the necessity of the argument.

Second, in Op A, the use of word WEIGHS against the first...this seems suspicious...i can't explain properly but this word generally suggest "to measure the heaviness of an object:
" and if you keep reading Op A u find somewhere this word says that the second bold portion is of more importance or undermine the first bold portion...which is not the case...Op B is better in saying "the second is an anti-consideration" which is true as consideration means fact..

for other options

i think this part of the whole argument is the conclusion:

" we will not be able to perform such a study on this new drug"

But the OpC, D , E suggests the complete 2nd part as the conclusion which is wrong.

Thanks

by vidhya16 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:46 pm
Atul,

You got it right. OA -B. I choose A as I wasnt able to differentiate btw general consideration vs general principle.

Ta