Labor costs are the dominant expense of doing business in al

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:1 members
Labor costs are the dominant expense of doing business in all but a few endeavors. For most jobs, the variation in individual work-related performance is likely to be greater than the range in compensation; additionally, it is possible to maintain productivity and work quality while decreasing labor costs.
Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above?

A. Employers should be more concerned about employee productivity
B. Some employers would be willing to accept employee performance output less than that at the higher range of an employee productivity.
C. No employer should expect an organization's employees to operate at maximum productivity
D. Some employees work at output levels less than at their maximum.
E. Labor costs need to be curtailed to improve the vitality of a nation's economy.

Is there a strategic approach to this question? Can any experts help?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:57 am
ardz24 wrote:Labor costs are the dominant expense of doing business in all but a few endeavors. For most jobs, the variation in individual work-related performance is likely to be greater than the range in compensation; additionally, it is possible to maintain productivity and work quality while decreasing labor costs.
Which of the following must be true on the basis of the statements above?

A. Employers should be more concerned about employee productivity
B. Some employers would be willing to accept employee performance output less than that at the higher range of an employee productivity.
C. No employer should expect an organization's employees to operate at maximum productivity
D. Some employees work at output levels less than at their maximum.
E. Labor costs need to be curtailed to improve the vitality of a nation's economy.
One approach is to apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer is negated, the passage will be contradicted.
The opposite of SOME is NONE.
D, negated:
No employees work at output levels less than at their maximum.
This negation implies that all employees work at the maximum output level,, contradicting the passage's contention that the variation in individual work-related performance is likely to be greater than the range in compensation.
Since the negation of D contradicts the passage, D is a valid INFERENCE: a statement that MUST BE TRUE, given the information in the passage.

The best answer is D.

While D is the best option, its wording is strange.
A better wording:
Some employees do not work at the maximum output level.
What is the source of this CR?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3