• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Kravonia

This topic has 2 expert replies and 7 member replies

Kravonia

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventuallty be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia hva ehad difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
777 messages
Followed by:
47 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventuallty be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
Incorrect : Number of college degrees is clearly out of scope.

B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
Correct : This one states that years kravonian students remained enrolled is increasing for past several of years. So there will be not much impact of increase in enrollment on "Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree" since this has been happening for the past several years.

C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
Incorrect : Percentage of population attending college in other countries is clearly out of scope.

D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
Incorrect : Strengthens the argument.

E. For many years, employers in Kravonia hva ehad difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
Incorrect : Irrelevant

Last edited by komal on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
1560 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo
A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Comparison with other countries is irrelevant .
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. It supports the conclusion.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available. Irrelevant

IMO B

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
549 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
TBD
Target GMAT Score:

So what is the correct OA for this one..I am really confused...Please advise...

Cheers!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Site Admin
Posted:
2567 messages
Followed by:
550 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Facebook Logo

The structure of the argument is as follows:
- jobs with college degree pay more than jobs without a degree
- the number of people enrolled in college is rising steadily
- the number of people who have a college degree will be significantly higher in the future

If you're used to reading the stimulus first, this is the type of question that you should try to anticipate. As soon as I finished reading the stimulus, my initial thought was that the correct answer must be something along the lines: "Despite the increased enrollment, about the same number of people manage to graduate". It wasn't this, but it was something close enough.

A is irrelevant because it does not discuss the number of people finishing college, it merely concerns a comparison between two categories.

B is the correct answer. If it takes longer for people to finish college, even if there are more of them studying, it won't really have an immediate impact since the extra length will compensate for the increased number of students.

C is again irrelevant, since we're only looking for comparisons between college grads now and college grads later.

D is wrong because the labor market requirements do not affect this argument. The fact that employers are asking for more qualifications does not affect the number of people who graduate college.

E may be true, but again it does not help us in the comparison between the numbers of college grads now versus later.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
549 messages
Followed by:
3 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
TBD
Target GMAT Score:

Let me see if I got this one more clearly now:

B weakens the conclusion of the arg because if the number of years for which the students enrolled before completing the college degree then the number of kravonians entering the job market with coll degree would not be significantly higher than it has been last year....

In other words number of kravonians with coll degree would not increase immediately....

Hope this makes some sense!

Cheers!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
81 messages
Upvotes:
I arrived at (B) through the process of elimination . But the usage of the weird "eventually" makes me thing that (B) doesn't really have much of an effect on the argument .

Even if people take more time to finish their degrees , "eventually" they do finish it so "eventually" the number of Kravonians entering the job market will be higher . My question basically revolves around the usage of the "eventually" , if this word was removed then I don't have any doubt in this question .

Can any expert help me out ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
578 messages
Followed by:
62 members
Upvotes:
I arrived at (B) through the process of elimination . But the usage of the weird "eventually" makes me thing that (B) doesn't really have much of an effect on the argument .

Even if people take more time to finish their degrees , "eventually" they do finish it so "eventually" the number of Kravonians entering the job market will be higher . My question basically revolves around the usage of the "eventually" , if this word was removed then I don't have any doubt in this question .

Hi George,

If students go to 4-year college institutions instead of 2-year programs, you can have twice as many students enrolled in college at once but still have the same number graduating each year!

www.kaptest.com/gmat

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test under Proctored Conditions! - Find a practice test near you or live and online in Kaplan's Classroom Anywhere environment. Register today!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Quote:

I received a PM asking me to comment.

Premise: In recent years, the number ENROLLED in college has been GROWING steadily.
Conclusion: The number ENTERING THE JOB MARKET who have at least a college degree will eventually be significantly HIGHER.
The ASSUMPTION is that MORE people are going to college: that the growing ENROLLMENT is due to a growing ADMISSIONS rate.

The correct answer must BREAK THE LINK between the growing enrollment and the number entering the job market.

Answer choice B: The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
This answer choice provides an ALTERNATE reason for the growing enrollment: students are TAKING LONGER to complete a degree.
If students are sticking around, it's entirely possible that there has been a DECREASE in the number of NEW students admitted over the last few years -- weakening the conclusion that the number ENTERING THE JOB MARKET will eventually be significantly higher.

The correct answer is B.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
1 messages
Facebook Logo
daretodream wrote:

Incorrect : Number of college degrees is clearly out of scope.

Correct : This one states that years kravonian students remained enrolled is increasing for past several of years. So there will be not much impact of increase in enrollment on "Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree" since this has been happening for the past several years.

Incorrect : Percentage of population attending college in other countries is clearly out of scope.

Incorrect : Strengthens the argument.

Incorrect : Irrelevant
Hi Komal,

I am having a hard time understanding and answering this question.
Agreed A, C, D and E are incorrect. But I am unable to digest that option B actually weakens the argument.

The argument says "number of...will eventually be significantly higher than previous years" - So, it says the number of graduates will eventually be higher, which IMO is correct. Lets say, yesterday there were 100 people enrolling in college. Today, there are 1000. At the same time, the duration of college is increasing, say from 3 years to 5 years (as option B). But so what ? If not after 3 year, but then after 5 years the number of graduates will be higher ie., "eventually" they will be higher at some point in time in future. Thus, this option again strengthens the argument.

I tried looking lot many resources on internet and all the explanation says the same as yours. But again, hard time accepting the explanation.

Do you mind helping me more here ?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT