Just took it today (Feb 3)! 770!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Just took it today (Feb 3)! 770!

by gfefe » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:08 pm
Q50, V45, total 770

I have no earthly idea how it happened, lolol. I remember staring in shock at the screen when I saw my score since I hadn't ever gotten that high of a total during my practice tests. Haha, I still wonder if it might have been a glitch in the system....

In any case, BeatTheGMAT helped me a lot during my studying phase (particularly since I could see what other people's experiences were like) so perhaps I can give back too!

The books I used were:
EZ Solutions GMAT Advanced Math (very good since it breaks down all the different types of math questions that could be asked)
OG 11 (although I only got through half of the math section and none of the verbal)

In total, I had perhaps 3 good weeks to prepare.
I took the Kaplan GMAT practice test about 10 days before the actual exam and got a 570 (eeks!).
Then I took the GMATPrep practice test 1 last Thursday and got a 690.
Yesterday (Monday), I had a panic attack (jk) and took the GMATPrep Math section twice. I didn't actually get to sleep until 2am >.<
In between those days, I did some random math problems in between classes at USC.

I think the test environment at the Pasadena (CA) location was very good - I recommend it to any future test takers! It was very quiet and the administrator was very quick in handing me new dry-erase boards.

I haven't seen any posts about the test location procedures, so here they are:

- Check in (although your official time may say 2:00pm or whatever, it really doesn't matter if you are slightly late - they will seat you anyway)
- They'll give you a locker key (you can't take electronics or food into the test room) You can eat your food during breaks! (I found this really helpful since I was starving during the exam! On another note, I found it good to be slightly hungry since it kept me awake!)
- You start! (Everyone will have different start times. In fact, some test takers in the computer room may not even be taking the same test! During my session, a lot of people were taking the NCLEX nursing exam.)

Recommendations:
- Some people say that it's not helpful to study the night before.... That's probably true because I took two 75-minute math practice tests on Monday and I was completely burnt out when I took the math section today (I kept on second-guessing myself - in fact, I took about 5 minutes on the first question! I think my mind was fried)
- It's good to have a sense of timing: When I first took the timed GMATPrep, I ran out of time with about 8 questions to go. By practicing my timing, I was able to finish today with 5 minutes to spare (in the math section)! Thus, when your test date gets nearer, start doing more practice tests.
- GMATPrep: super duper! It simulated the actual test perfectly so that when I took the GMAT today, I felt completely ready. It only works on PCs though (boooo) so I just downloaded it onto a library computer (mwahaha) at my school. You MUST take this! It truly helps.

Sooooo, that's pretty much all that I have for now. I'm still slightly weirded out that I got a 770 (when all my practice tests were low!) but I'm not complaining, lol.

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:51 pm
congrats for that awesome score..

Was it luck or sheer geniuses ?...whatever it maybe..it worked:)

all the best for the applications..

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660(

by 4meonly » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 pm
Congratulations!! Awesome score!
Never ignore luck in your life!!!! :D