Journalist--evalute the argument

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Journalist--evalute the argument

by champmag » Wed May 11, 2011 2:14 am
Journalist: Well-known businessman Arnold Bergeron has long been popular in the state,
and he has often talked about running for governor, but he has never run. However, we have
just learned that Bergeron has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for candidacy by
submitting a detailed list of his current financial holdings to the election commission. So, it is
very likely that Bergeron will be a candidate for governor this year.

The answer to which ofthe following questions would be most useful in evaluating the journalist's
argument?
A. Has anybody else who has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for the upcoming
election reported greater financial holdings than Bergeron?
B. Is submitting a list of holdings the only way to fulfill the election commission's financial
disclosure requirements?
C. Did the information recently obtained by the journalists come directly from the election
commission?
D. Have Bergeron's financial holdings increased in value in recent years?
E. Had Bergeron also fulfilled the financial disclosure requirements for candidacy before any
previous gubernatorial elections?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed May 11, 2011 2:28 am
I think E.

A. Has anybody else who has fulfilled the financial disclosure requirement for the upcoming
election reported greater financial holdings than Bergeron? - This does not relate to Bergeron him self. So is irrelevant.
B. Is submitting a list of holdings the only way to fulfill the election commission's financial
disclosure requirements? - Even if it not the only way, but it is one way, then it is possible he is running for Guv.
C. Did the information recently obtained by the journalists come directly from the election
commission? - Irrelevant.
D. Have Bergeron's financial holdings increased in value in recent years? - Irrelevant. running for Candidacy not based on holdings.
E. Had Bergeron also fulfilled the financial disclosure requirements for candidacy before any
previous gubernatorial elections?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Wed May 11, 2011 3:27 am
I came down to B and E and found E > B as b is extreme.

IMO E

If OA is B I need OE for B and proof that this is not extreme
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by novel » Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 am
i came down to b and e an selected b.
if submitting the list of holdings not the only way and the other condition sa re not fulfilled by Begeron he may not be allowed to contest election.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:05 pm
novel wrote:i came down to b and e an selected b.
if submitting the list of holdings not the only way and the other condition sa re not fulfilled by Begeron he may not be allowed to contest election.
you are confusing ways with conditions
I Seek Explanations Not Answers