Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:620

IVEY MBA hopeful

by rangerguy2000 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:58 am
Profile:
GMAT 620, V42, Q35, AWA 5.6
Strong Analytical and Logicial Abilities.
Work Ex: 5 yrs in IT in India, 5 yrs in Logistics/Operations in Canada.
Bachelors in Computer Science from India.
Canadian Citizen.

If anyone can suggest if I have any chance of getting into IVEY MBA for 2011 session. Already accepted into HEC Montreal and Wilfred Lauried for this fall. I never really thought about IVEY before because I used to think to get into IVEY you need atleast 700+ in GMAT and very very strong academic records. But some friends suggested that my profile is good for IVEY as well. Can any admissions counsellor offer some advice?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 pm
Hey RangerGuy!

Well, you have the same GMAT score I had when I applied to and was accepted at Harvard Business School!

It sounds like you already have promising b-school plans. I'm not sure it's worth it to interrupt all that to go for an ivy league school just because you feel like you should.

However, I just wanted to give you some encouragement that people DO get into HBS with a GMAT of 620. A recent coaching client of mine got into Kellogg with a GMAT under 650 as well.

Obviously, you'll need to have stellar essays that tell your story well, but I definitely think it's possible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm
EssaySnark says, we think OP was asking about chances at Richard Ivey School of Business (U of Western Ontario), not about "Ivy League" bschools like HBS.

The basic profile could be a fit for Ivey except that a GMAT quant of 35 is quite low, and that could be a concern. We also don't know the academic record. Ivey students tend to be somewhat older than many American bschool students, so you're probably in a good spot in your career and will around the same age (perhaps a tiny bit older) than the majority of your classmates. With the common profile of Asian IT professional, you will of course need to present examples of leadership etc., to help your application stand out.

Ivey does accept a wider spectrum than some schools and so yes, there could be a chance here (no guarantees anywhere of course, and that quant score might prove to be an issue).

Good luck with it!
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Kaneisha Grayson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:53 pm
Thanks for the correction on that! ;)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by abhishekarohi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 am
Hi, I aspire to go to Ivey. Can anybody tell me how the MBA program is? I read somewhere that the one year course is not that good and its only for raising the funds of the college. Moreover, the person also alleged that Ivey teaching is only at the basic level and they do not go in the depth of the subject. I am skeptic about this review but still want to confirm before applying. Please help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rangerguy2000 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:30 am
sorry, i messed up the GMAT scores ... its 620, Q42, V35

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:43 pm
abhishekarohi wrote:Hi, I aspire to go to Ivey. Can anybody tell me how the MBA program is? I read somewhere that the one year course is not that good and its only for raising the funds of the college. Moreover, the person also alleged that Ivey teaching is only at the basic level and they do not go in the depth of the subject. I am skeptic about this review but still want to confirm before applying. Please help.
@abhishekarohi, EssaySnark says, for many years, Ivey has ranked relatively highly on many international scales, including a good showing on BW, WSJ, and FT lists. It is considered the best bschool in Canada (Queens, Rotman, Shulich, etc. are also good but Ivey is often seen as the country's best). Ivey produces about as many cases per year as HBS does. EssaySnark has never studied their cases but we'd be hard pressed to believe that they are shallow or superficial. Producing lots of cases doesn't mean that they offer a great education, but we believe that an Ivey MBA would have value and would be a great experience.

We say "relatively highly" on the international rankings because there are absolutely amazing schools in Europe like INSEAD and IMD and LBS that could be considered better even than the American schools. Ivey can't quite compare to those (but it could be argued that neither could a school like Duke or UCLA or other "good" American schools -- this stuff is very subjective after a point).

For someone who's planning on building a career in Canada after bschool, Ivey is a strong choice.
rangerguy2000 wrote:sorry, i messed up the GMAT scores ... its 620, Q42, V35
@rangerguy2000, we're relieved to see the Q42 but this is still fairly low (61st percentile) and the Ivey adcom may have trouble with the low score. If you're looking at throwing away your guaranteed admissions to HEC and WL on the chance that Ivey may let you in, we wouldn't recommend it. If you retest the GMAT and raise both components of that score but esp the quant, then sure, it could be possible. We'd be nervous throwing away the "bird in hand" with what could be seen as a big gamble. (Most schools don't allow for deferred admission but if HEC or WL were willing to grant you a 2011 matriculation, then maybe this picture changes.)

Good luck with it!
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rossmoss » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:21 am
Kaneisha Grayson wrote:Hey RangerGuy!

Well, you have the same GMAT score I had when I applied to and was accepted at Harvard Business School!

It sounds like you already have promising b-school plans. I'm not sure it's worth it to interrupt all that to go for an ivy league school just because you feel like you should.

However, I just wanted to give you some encouragement that people DO get into HBS with a GMAT of 620. A recent coaching client of mine got into Kellogg with a GMAT under 650 as well.

Obviously, you'll need to have stellar essays that tell your story well, but I definitely think it's possible.

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but it's a reality so I have to say it. Although it is great that someone with a 620 got into HBS, the odds are that you have to be a URM for that miracle to happen. Being a female African American, in terms of demographics, is the jackpot. Most people with anything under a 680 just won't get into HBS or any of the other top schools. It's just the way it is.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740

by humblebee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:25 am
rossmoss wrote:
I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but it's a reality so I have to say it. Although it is great that someone with a 620 got into HBS, the odds are that you have to be a URM for that miracle to happen. Being a female African American, in terms of demographics, is the jackpot. Most people with anything under a 680 just won't get into HBS or any of the other top schools. It's just the way it is.
Having done a whole lot of research about business school, I actually have to agree with this statement.

Kaneisha if the <650 person you helped out was a South Asian IT Professional, then you should advertise that fact and wait for a whole stream of business to come in.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't working with non-traditional applicants be far easier than working with traditional applicants? With non-traditional applicants, you've already got a head start i.e. they are already unique because of their non-traditional background. The hard task is thus how do you make a traditional applicant unique and stand out?
wannabe business school consultant

by shekhar-tripathi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 am
Hi,

My profile is as follows:

GMAT: 630 (Q:48, V:28)
GPA 6.1 on 10 (From Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani - ranked in the top 10 universities in India)
Work Experience: Currently working as an ERP(PeopleSoft) Consultant with a company in the BIG4. Have completed 1.5 years and am currently leading a client project (Team of 8 people).
Have experience in the Non-profit sector in various social organizations and NGOs.
Extra-curricular activities:
Have played Field Hockey for my college
Have won various business plan competitions

Colleges i wish to apply
1) Richard Ivey School of Business; University of Western Ontario (Apr 2013)
2) Rotterdam School of Management; Erasmus University
3) HEC Paris
4) IESE Business School (Sept 2012)

Could any one suggest what needs to be done to get into any of these colleges?

Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 pm
shekhar-tripathi wrote:Hi,

My profile is as follows:

GMAT: 630 (Q:48, V:28)
GPA 6.1 on 10 (From Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani - ranked in the top 10 universities in India)
Work Experience: Currently working as an ERP(PeopleSoft) Consultant with a company in the BIG4. Have completed 1.5 years and am currently leading a client project (Team of 8 people).
Have experience in the Non-profit sector in various social organizations and NGOs.
Extra-curricular activities:
Have played Field Hockey for my college
Have won various business plan competitions

Colleges i wish to apply
1) Richard Ivey School of Business; University of Western Ontario (Apr 2013)
2) Rotterdam School of Management; Erasmus University
3) HEC Paris
4) IESE Business School (Sept 2012)

Could any one suggest what needs to be done to get into any of these colleges?

Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar.
Hi

I think you should wait an year or two before you apply for these colleges. I am not very critical of the GMAT, however , that also can be improved.

They do accept people with less than 2 years of work ex but then you need to make it up by showcasing other aspects of your profile.

If you really want to have a shot at it, then we need other info about your profile. The hook or the impact part which will ace the application.

You can send me a mail.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

by shekhar-tripathi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 am
Hi,

I will be applying for Ivey for the Jan 2013 term.
That is another year from now. Would that be sufficient?

Regards,
Shekhar

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 am
Hi rangerguy2000,

Looking at Ivey's last year mba class profile accepted students had 24-85 months of work experience. Also their gmat score was in range of 600-740 with mean score 672. So we would advise you to improve your gmat score to secure your position in this school. Also if you decide to retake gmat adding one more year of work exp in your profile would be great move. All the very best.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:37 am
shekhar-tripathi wrote:Hi,

I will be applying for Ivey for the Jan 2013 term.
That is another year from now. Would that be sufficient?

Regards,
Shekhar
Hi Shekhar

Was the mail helpful?

Reach for help, we are there.
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

by shekhar-tripathi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:55 am
Hi Alex

The mail was really helpful ... thanks alot