IT areas

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

IT areas

by gmat_ttt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:05 pm
Hi!

My current job involves writing mathematical and computational models for analyzing engineering problems. So, would this be considered IT too?

thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:59 am
Hi.

Thanks for the post. What is your undergrad background? What industry do you apply this analysis to (i.e. Finance, Manufact, Software). Without know too much of your background, most likely you will be considered Engineering or IT. However, there isn't much of a difference.

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmat_ttt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 pm
Hi! NP:

Thanks for the reply.

Education: Bachelors (71% - top 5% of the class) and Masters (GPA 3.8) in Chemical Engineering.

GMAT: 720 (49, 39)

Job Description: mathematical and computational modeling. The company's final product is a simulation software. My focus is on modeling fuel cells for a project involving a govt. agency and fuel cell manufacturers.

I'd like to work in Alternate Energy (Consulting or Manufacturing) after my MBA.

Target Schools: MIT, LBS, Insead and IMD.

thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:18 am
Thanks for your reply. You have good credentials and are likely competitive for a top MBA program. However... As you know, its difficult to assess your candidacy based solely on your GPA/GMAT. You are in the range for the schools listed below - but again, there is so much else you will be evaluated on (LORs, Essays, ECs, Interview).

If you need help picking out additional US schools, check out Veritas Prep's new School Selector tool. It is a fantastic resource to help you select schools which match your background.

Details are below...

Regards,

NP

Have you ever wondered what your chances are at the top business schools in the country? We've developed a fun tool that will allow you to gauge the value of your GMAT score, GPA, and a variety of other variables, giving you a starting point for investigating MBA programs that fit your profile.

Although it's not a substitute for the advice of a real Admissions Consultant, it is definitely a great way to see where you're at.
https://www.veritasprep.com/selector
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep