No votes
c. 4
No votes

Total votes: 0

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Issue essay Please grade

by kriti87 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:15 pm
"The goal of formal education is only to achieve high scores on standardized tests."

Essay :

I strongly disagree with the viewpoint stated above that the goal of formal education is only to achieve high scores on standardized tests. Standardized tests are only one of the parameters that are used to test a person's calibre and skill level ; these tests are only a means to an end and not the end itself.

To begin with, standardized tests are conducted to filter out candidates, be it for a job application or a college education. Although, they do form the first and most important hurdle to receiving an education or a job, these tests do not become part of the goal of receiving formal education. More than formal learning, they require candidates to be mentally agile, smart, quick, and capable of completing the questions on time. For example, standardized tests could range from specific subject matter tests to IQ tests. There are many candidates who might not be formally educated, but they might still score higher on IQ tests. Education can be received through home-schooling as well.

In addition, formal education plays a major role in shaping an individual's personality. Education is not just about scoring marks or securing ranks, but also about developing interactions with other fellow students. For instance, a person who understands culture, sentiments, differences, world problems, daily business transactions, and people, is equally capable of scoring high on standardized tests.The ultimate goal of any education is developing strength of character.

Some may argue that unless a person scores high on standardized tests, his chances of gaining an admission to a prestigious university or securing the dream job, are practically zero. But, I beg to differ with this reasoning as it is highly flawed. Most universities abroad as well as most companies take a holistic approach while evaluating a candidate. So it is not just the scores that matter, but also whether the candidate is the right fit.

Thus, although, there may be many sides to this debate, I stand by the viewpoint that the goal of formal education is not to achieve high scores on standardized tests.