ISO passage

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

ISO passage

by yvonne0923 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am
Some of the first attempts to standardize business practices came about during wartime. In world War I, shells frequently failed to detonate simply because two British armament manufactures had slightly different definitions of an inch. During World War II, Britain placed inspectors in weapons factories to determine the cause of accidental detonations. This led to a system by which potential suppliers had to detail their production processes - and ensure that workers stuck to them - before the supplier could be approved for a government contract. In 1959, the US developed its Quality Program Requirements for military procurement, and NATO followed suit in 1968. By 1987, the UK had formulated the BS9000, one of the first attempts to apply third--party standardization to a non-military manufacturing area: in this case, the electronics industry. Today's ISO9000, a global set of standards used by diverse businesses and governments, can be traced back to the BS9000. The ISO-a non-governmental organization consisting of representatives from 149 countries - has, to date, a portfolio of over 15,000 standards.

Implementation of ISO standards has not always gone smoothly. Too often, a company attempting to conform to standards has created an extra layer of bureaucracy - and all the paperwork that goes along with one - without actually improving processes. In addition, the military origins of the standardization process led to a system that was not always well-suited to businesses that were not traditional factory-floor operations. Recent ISO versions have tried to minimize the emphasis on documentation, and to stress management system effectiveness, process improvement, and customer satisfaction. Like any tool of business, however, ISO standards are used more effectively by some than by others. The difference lies in whether a set of standards is seen as a way to improve business practices or as an annoying checklist of obstacles.

In coming years, more ISO standards will apply to non-manufacturing realms such as the environment, service industries, security, information and communication, and even sociopolitical. Countries that have signed on to the World Trade Organization's Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade have agreed to ISO assurance that their regulations do not amount to protectionism. International standardization also has the potential to allow developing countries a better chance at competing with businesses from richer nations, though this potential has only begun to be realized.

1. Which of the following is the most appropriate title of the passage?
A. How the ISO Became the Standard Bearer of Standards
B. Applying Military Methods to the Business World
C. The Future of the ISO
D. Problems Associated with Implementing Business Standards
E. A Brief History of Business Practice Standards

2. The passage suggests which of the following about the future of international standardization?
A. Developing nations will take a greater part in devising the standards
B. ISO standards will be less useful to traditional factory-floor operations
C. Security concerns will be addressed by a greater number of ISO standards
D. A greater number of businesses will use the standards to improve their practices
E. It will be used to punish countries that practice protectionism.

________________________________________________________________________________
Answer: 1.E 2. C

1. I am confusing with choice A and choice E, since "A brief history of business practice standards" is only mentioned in the 1st paragraph, but the second and third paragraphs talk about the difficulties and future of the practice. How can I understand choice A and C? This problem belongs to the Universal problem, I always have trouble to identify the information and wording between two choices. Can anyone explain to me how to attack such problems?

2. I chose B, since the last paragraph doesn't only mention about the "Security concerns", and this problem is an inference type, so how can choice C covers the whole?

Thanks,

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:55 pm
Source of the passage? (let me knw if its fmr gmatprep)

by yvonne0923 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm
rohu27 wrote:Source of the passage? (let me knw if its fmr gmatprep)
It's from Veritas Prep.

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:23 pm
yvonne0923 wrote:
It's from Veritas Prep.
thanks.
my take: ED
im not sure of the secodn oen though. i coudnt fit in any answer choice so finally had to go for D.
whts the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:12 pm
My take AC .

I agree with your poinnt for question 1 , i was also tricked with A and E.

Question B talks about future so directly go to para 3 . C fits the bill .

Time taken some 4 mins.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

by yvonne0923 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm
rohu27 wrote:
yvonne0923 wrote:
It's from Veritas Prep.
thanks.
im not sure of the secodn oen though. i coudnt fit in any answer choice so finally had to go for D.
whts the OA?
1.E
2.C

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:01 pm
rohu27 wrote:
yvonne0923 wrote:
It's from Veritas Prep.
thanks.
whts the OA?
@rohu , you chose E for first question , is it that A is too specificly talking about ISO and the answers needs broader aspect of Business practice standard , i mean on what grounds we should eliminate A ?
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 am
My take :

1. E
a - Nowhere mentioned ISO is standard of standards in fact at the time passage was written ISO was evolving "In coming years, more ISO standards will apply to ....." , So saying that ISO "became" would not be correct
b - although passage talks about a a method which was first used in military, "Applying Military methods" would be wrong to signify the title.
c - discussed not only future but also history
d - discussed not only problems but also advantages
e - passages mainly discusses how ISO came into practice and problems that were associated. It only gives a thought about future. so CORRECT

2. C - This one is straight away question.
Countries signed on agreement on "Technical Barriers to Trade" and agreed to ISO assurance that their regulations do not amount to protectionism. Each country agreed to ISO assurance that even after adopting standards if there is some loss of one country then other country cannot ask for compensation. But actually wants to implements standards so that there is no loss of one due to another(mentioned as the reason for birth of ISO) so it is likely that Security concerns will be addressed by ISO Standards

option b is mentioned but passage never says "will be" . Beware of Strong options
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 am
AIM GMAT wrote:
rohu27 wrote:
yvonne0923 wrote:
It's from Veritas Prep.
thanks.
whts the OA?
@rohu , you chose E for first question , is it that A is too specificly talking about ISO and the answers needs broader aspect of Business practice standard , i mean on what grounds we should eliminate A ?
eliminated A because it says ISO is standard bearer of standrds. it has its own set of problems as mentione din para 2, and passage only cites future scope tht it will be used in various platforms. so elimated A.
HTH