Is it possible to change career with an 1 year MBA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:640
Hi,
I have a GMAT score of 640 and 3.5 yrs of IT Experience. Since I am not very interested in technical job and more keen towards moving into management kind of job, I want to do an MBA. Is it possible to change career paths with a One year MBA. Kindly post your opinions.

Thanks,
Suri

by tregnabm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 pm
I was in your situation, and did an online MBA from the University of Phoenix, graduating in 2007. I started looking for a new IT management job in early 2008, when the recession hit hardest. I had no luck for 2 years. So, in the fall of 2010 I took the GMAT and enrolled at IU Kelley in the MSIS program. The future is looking brighter now because of their superb recruiting. If you are looking to use the MBA to open new career opportunities, make sure the program has good recruiting. You can read my blog post on this subject at https://bschool.bangosoft.com/2010/11/23 ... aditional/

by prnaidu » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 am
Tregnabm,
I agree to your point. I read your given link. Well written.
Did you choose full time MBA or part time MBA program at Kelley?

I am on the edge of deciding whether to give GMAT again and go for a full time MBA or join Marquette/Loyola chicago part-time MBA program.

any suggestions?

by tregnabm » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:07 pm
Since I already have an MBA, I elected to go into Kelley's MSIS (Info systems) program, which is 30 credits. It's tech oriented (ERP, IT Governance, business programming) but you take electives from the MBA program. I started the program part-time but have been impressed with the recruiting and will be full-time starting in Jan. I didn't want to enroll in the MBA program and then have to drop my online MBA completely off my resume. I'd like to think I didn't waste those 18 months.

I think part-time MBA programs are good when taken from a ranked school. You have access to the recruiting that the full-time students do. The "18-month" or online programs from for-profit universities won't get you where you want to be.

by prnaidu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 pm
Thanks tregnabm for your inputs. I am also in IT industry with 8 yrs of experience looking for growth in career. I dont see myself taking any higher position as I am in independent consulting. Would taking part time from Marquette with no career services help me?

What kind of recruiting you see at Kelley? Can you please brief on the opportunities you see?

Thanks

by tregnabm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:36 am
I just looked at Marquette's site, they have recruiting. There are rankings for recruiting, I would have a look at those to compare them with other ranked schools to help make the decision. All of the big schools have median salary/signing bonus info on their sites. You'll have to dig a bit, but it is there. Kelley's job placement info is at https://kelley.iu.edu/careers/index.html

by tregnabm » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 am
I just looked at Marquette's site, they have recruiting. There are rankings for recruiting, I would have a look at those to compare them with other ranked schools to help make the decision. All of the big schools have median salary/signing bonus info on their sites. You'll have to dig a bit, but it is there. Kelley's job placement info is at https://kelley.iu.edu/careers/index.html

GMAT Score:640

by suri84 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:17 am
Thanks for your inputs tregnabm :)