Is International Experience worth it?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Is International Experience worth it?

by Mr_T » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 pm
Hi all,

I currently live in Montreal and I'm looking at different MBA schools in Europe. Although I am very much interested in going abroad for my studies, there are a few things that worry me. First of all, I am not certain that I would want to work abroad right after my MBA as I might want to return home for a few years. However, I'm afraid that some good but not top schools in Europe would make it difficult for me to find a job back home. For example, I was thinking about applying to HEC Paris and University of Manchester. These schools are highly ranked, but not top 10. It would probably be easier for me to find a job in Montreal with HEC Montreal or McGill. However, if later I wanted to go to Europe...

I guess my question applies to a lot of people here. For those who live in the U.S., would you study in Europe if you would return home to work?

Thanks,

mr_t

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 am
Well it really depends. Although my answer may be a bit biased given my "international experience" by default. I can give you at least this end of the spectrum perspective.

If you study abroad you will be exposed to many different things: people, cultures, mindsets, institutions, any factor involved in the creation of such community. This will allow you to have a different take on things once you go back home and will definitely enhance your value in the market (primarily because of the acquisition of an MBA).

As per your first answer regardless of you getting your MBA abroad doesn't mean that you have to work abroad, you can return home. In fact at home they might value international experience a bit more than local experience given that you are from there already.

I went to Manchester Business School and their MBA programme seemed pretty intense, I dont think the career services inhibits your decisions post-MBA, if anything they work with you to achieve your goals... so with proper time and adequate work input you should achieve your goals of returning back home successfully.

You really need to weigh out what the benefits are of going abroad vs staying home. Life is short and an international experience is quite helpful - particularly your choices don't seem to be radical. Essentially the cultures of the countries, institutions you are targeting are quite similar to Canada. The more similarities the less uncertainty you deal with.

Consider the uncertainty factor, the time factor (how long you want to be abroad), and the post-MBA factor (MBA's want to know you have a plan post degree - not telling you to calculate how you will be spending every second upon graduation but some idea). Also, personal preference is obviously in play here.

Wish you the best,
Jas