Is GMAT getting Tougher in India??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies

Is GMAT getting Tougher in India?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 11

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

Is GMAT getting Tougher in India??

by gmat740 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 am
I came across a discussion from another forum about the same topic and the thread ran 3 pages. Please check the link Below.

https://www.urch.com/forums/just-finishe ... dia-3.html

Some even accused Indians that Indians cheat in the exam(Because they simply can't digest the fact that so many Indians getting 700+)

As far as my personal Opinion is concerned, I do feel YES GMAT is definitely getting tougher. And for Indians probably tougher(although the mba.com website claims about its non-discriminatory policies etc etc)
I repeat this is my personal Opinion.

My friend who was doing an internship in France, gave GMAT in Paris, and he scored Q51 V36(730 total), he told me that he saw some questions almost analogous to OG.
However, a few days later, when I gave my GMAT in Delhi(India) I found Question way too tough.

The excerpt in italics below is from the discussion of the other forum(link provided above)

I have checked with 6 guys 3 of them US-citizen and 3 of them visa/ead holders in US

for 3 US-Citizens quant was as easy as even getting a repeat from OG 11

for the 3 'desi's quant said "who's your daddy ?"

I am an Engineer and my favorite subject is maths. In none of the GMAT Prep test I scored below Q51. and the questions I faced in real GMAT were way too tough, that led me wonder how my Indian friends who don't have firm gasp of Quant, how will they manage to score decently.

Now coming to the Verbal Section :

CR=> I did a few sets of CR from LSAT sets, but I found them to be tough and above the level of GMAT, so I dropped the Idea of having. That was one of my biggest mistake. I found CR's almost of the same level like that of LSAT's. I was shocked.

RC: Yet another LSAT type Big-Big passage, the passage was nothing less than a nightmare.

I had a very pathetic experince. I am going to give GMAT again, but now I have prepared myself for tough questions.I don't like to give excuses for my mistake. I do admit that I did commit mistakes. But certainly I didn't found a single Question which I can say was OG level

Looking forward to a bright future ahead

A request : Please leave a comment before polling your vote.
Thanks
Last edited by gmat740 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mike22629 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 am
Hmm...

Although I have not done any research on the subject, I would probably disagree that the GMAT is more difficult in India. The reason so many people from India do well on the GMAT probably has a lot to do with the education system in India as well as the fact that there are over 1 billion people there.

As far as your friend in Paris, his score seems somewhat confusing. When did he take the test? The reason I ask is because I got a 50Q and a 36V and got a 710.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members

by gmat740 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:55 am
mike22629 wrote:Hmm...

Although I have not done any research on the subject, I would probably disagree that the GMAT is more difficult in India. The reason so many people from India do well on the GMAT probably has a lot to do with the education system in India as well as the fact that there are over 1 billion people there.

As far as your friend in Paris, his score seems somewhat confusing. When did he take the test? The reason I ask is because I got a 50Q and a 36V and got a 710.
I am sorry, It was Q51, I checked out with him again.He gave GMAT in May.Anyways, the purpose of the data point was to provide additional info. The main topic of discussion is the title of the thread.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mike22629 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 am
In my opinion, the only people who will answer yes to this question are people taking the test in India. By definition, a standardized test puts everyone on a level playing ground. It would be completely illogical and contradictory to the very nature of a standardized test to make it more difficult for test takers in India.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:09 am
The GMAT is the same everywhere in the world. No matter where you are, the scoring and question selection algorithms are the same, and the questions are drawn from the same question pool.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:11 pm
I posted on that thread under the same id. You didnt read my response to the portion that you've quoted??

This is a pointless discussion. There's no way to substantiate claims that it's getting tougher in India. You are quoting a person who asked 6 out of nearly 250,000 people who gave the GMAT. That's a fantastic sample space to base the assumption on.

Didnt the quoted person also go on to say that those very Desis got a 49 on the Q?? What level Qs do you think you will see on the GMAT if at the end of it you still got a 49? OG level???

You should perhaps have read a little more carefully
https://www.urch.com/forums/just-finishe ... post780075

As for it running to 3pages, barely the first thread has anything worthwhile. After that, its just idle chit-chat on cheating, scores and the like.

The GMAC does not benefit it anyway if the exam is tougher in India. They are not the admission body.

I am constantly amazed that people would rather believe some lame-ass excuse that the exam is tougher in India than keep their heads free from all this clutter and work hard.

Locked.

• Page 1 of 1