influx of illegal immigrants

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

influx of illegal immigrants

by Sunny22uk » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 am
As part of our program to halt the influx of illegal immigrants, the administration is proposing the creation of a national identity card. The card would be available only to U.S. citizens and to registered aliens, and all persons would be required to produce the card before they could be given a job. Of course, such a system holds the potential, however slight, for the abuse of civil liberties. Therefore, all personal information gathered through this system would be held strictly confidential, to be released only by authorized personnel under appropriate circumstances. Those who are in compliance with U.S. laws would have nothing to fear from the identity card system.
In evaluating the above proposal, a person concerned about the misuse of confidential information would be most interested in having the author clarify the meaning of which of the following phrases?
(A) “all persons” (line 5)
(B) “however slight” (line 7)
(C) “civil liberties” (line 8)
(D) “appropriate circumstances” (line 11)
(E) “U.S. laws” (line 2)

The OA is D
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to loose sight of the shore.

by Sunny22uk » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:38 am
I didn't know the question was so hard. anyone?
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to loose sight of the shore.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: influx of illegal immigrants

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 am
Sunny22uk wrote:As part of our program to halt the influx of illegal immigrants, the administration is proposing the creation of a national identity card. The card would be available only to U.S. citizens and to registered aliens, and all persons would be required to produce the card before they could be given a job. Of course, such a system holds the potential, however slight, for the abuse of civil liberties. Therefore, all personal information gathered through this system would be held strictly confidential, to be released only by authorized personnel under appropriate circumstances. Those who are in compliance with U.S. laws would have nothing to fear from the identity card system.
In evaluating the above proposal, a person concerned about the misuse of confidential information would be most interested in having the author clarify the meaning of which of the following phrases?
(A) “all persons” (line 5)
(B) “however slight” (line 7)
(C) “civil liberties” (line 8)
(D) “appropriate circumstances” (line 11)
(E) “U.S. laws” (line 2)
We're concerned about misuse of confidential information. Accordingly, the sentence with which we're most concerned is:
Therefore, all personal information gathered through this system would be held strictly confidential, to be released only by authorized personnel under appropriate circumstances.
Only choice (d) comes from this line - that by itself is a good enough reason to choose (d).

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by gmattester » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 am
IMO D

Followed by:3 members

by kaulnikhil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:47 am
why not B ..???

by m&m » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 am
B talks about the however slight the abuse could be... as in what the abuse could potentially do (falsify identity, change identity, etc.) - someone who is concerned is concerned about ANY abuse regardless of how extreme

Someone concerned about the misuse would be concerned with "when will the personal information be shared, as in under what circumstances" (Job, Grocery Store, gas station, etc.)

That's why i think D is right...

BTW I reasoned B originally but after some thought agreed with D

by Musicolo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 am
the dummest gmat CR question i have ever seen. Where is the logic and GMAT logic behind this "correct" answer? Only in the mind of a person who came up with this question in the first place. Any one person could be potentially interested in clarification of any these terms. Questions like this one makes you doubt the GMAT and its main objective!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bignasty666 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:06 am
Musicolo wrote:the dummest gmat CR question i have ever seen. Where is the logic and GMAT logic behind this "correct" answer? Only in the mind of a person who came up with this question in the first place. Any one person could be potentially interested in clarification of any these terms. Questions like this one makes you doubt the GMAT and its main objective!!!
my sentiments exacty....this is a funked up question.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sang5650 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 pm
Clearly D

Followed by:1 members

by akahuja143 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 pm
No doubt D .. This is the first time I have seen CR question like this?

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 am
I think though we are seeing this question first time, logic will help us to answer this question. In most of the govt. books and sites it is always posted that 'we will reveal your personal information to so and so company and under so and so circumstances'.

If I am not wrong then we always concerned more about the 'so and so circumstances' than 'so and so company'. Same logic is here for this question. So I don't think that this problem is so hard.

Anyways answer is D