Indian Percentage marks to US GPA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:740

Indian Percentage marks to US GPA

by pallavmishra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 am
I know this is an oft repeated concern of many Indian students but how do we (or do we at all) convert our Indian percentage scores to GPA? Some of our institutions do not give very high scores in certain streams - for instance, the person who topped my batch in Engineering here from my college here in India got a 75% while this may not be construed as a high score if we were to convert this into a US GPA. I've heard that some institutes do not insist on GPAs if they are not available and instead want to look at your original transcripts. But if, for instance, this guy who topped class and got 75% sends his scores, how would anyone know that this was a good score? Would the application essay help here in explaining this issue? Would really appreciate some thoughts on this.

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm
The only thing that i can say is that you need not convert your scores to US GPA. This is because there is no specific way to convert percentages to GPAs.

I also understand the concern for lower scores at some universities. But i guess the best thing to do would be to explain your situation in your essays (the optional essay would be the appropriate place.)
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish