In little more than a decade---simple but good SC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey, with
nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going
to the United States.
A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going
B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes
C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going
D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes
E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

Oa is [[spoiler]u]E[/u[/spoiler]] guys...it contains an idiom error if some sharp eye can point out...its a simple question but thought to share..thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by singh181 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:07 am
atulmangal wrote: guys...it contains an idiom error if some sharp eye can point out...its a simple question but thought to share..thanks
I am not sure about the idiom in the sentence.

atulmangal wrote: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey, with
to the United States.
A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going "of which" refers to "markets". INCORRECT
B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes "it" and "that" create a awkward structure. INCORRECT
C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going "it" refers to "sale". is SALE going to US?? Also, it contains a chain of modifiers "with the sale XXX, with almost XXXX" creating an awkward structure. INCORRECT
D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes "it" misses an antecedent.
E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going CORRECT

Oa is [[spoiler]u]E[/u[/spoiler]]

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 am
i also can't locate any idiom in option E............which idiom are u talking about....

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 am
I again tried to remove the stuff in btw commas

In litte more than a decade, selling nearly 90K X, Argentina...(D,E)

In little more than a decade, with almost half of it's goods going to USA, Argentian...

E for me...

B,C are out ... it is refering to sale, which cannot go to USA only goods shall go
Last edited by HSPA on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 am
singh181 wrote:
atulmangal wrote: guys...it contains an idiom error if some sharp eye can point out...its a simple question but thought to share..thanks
I am not sure about the idiom in the sentence.

atulmangal wrote: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey, with
to the United States.
A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going "of which" refers to "markets". INCORRECT
B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes "it" and "that" create a awkward structure. INCORRECT
C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going "it" refers to "sale". is SALE going to US?? Also, it contains a chain of modifiers "with the sale XXX, with almost XXXX" creating an awkward structure. INCORRECT
D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes "it" misses an antecedent.
E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going CORRECT

Oa is [[spoiler]u]E[/u[/spoiler]]
@singh..

I picked the Oa without using idioms, then i thought...that there is some idiom for the use of word SALE...i still don't remember but i think i read somewhere...their correct usage in some question...will post soon the same

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:01 am
IMO E too .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gig92 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:28 am
atulmangal wrote:In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey, with
to the United States.
A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going
B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes
C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going
D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes

Oa is [[spoiler]u]E[/u[/spoiler]] guys...it contains an idiom error if some sharp eye can point out...its a simple question but thought to share..thanks
In the sentence:
"Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey" describes the subject "Argentina". The rest of the sentence tries to explain "HOW"?( any words coming to mond yet). The options starting with "with"(A, B, and C) do not describe the subject and answer "HOW"?
Between D and E:-- error in D is that "and" conjunction is followed by a "run-on" phrase and "it" in "almost half of it" does not have a clear antecedent!!
E - Correct ans - anwsers "HOW" and "with almost half" rightly describes "Honey"

Hope it helps.
gig92

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ram2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 am
IMO E..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by CaptainM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 am
Ron,

I have learnt from one of your posts that "when prepositional phrases follow commas, they are adverbial modifiers".
Could you please explain what verb does "with almost half going " modifying in the correct option E

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:44 am
@CaptainM, in this sentence, "with almost half going to US" modifies the preceding clause. The preceding clause makes the claim that Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey. It also presents the data supporting this - Argentina sells 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Now using the phrase "with almost half going to US", the author adds further detail to the sales made in the foreign markets.

You may find detailed treatment of the topic of Comma + with modifiers in the post below:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/comma-with-e ... 85064.html

Thanks,

Payal

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:36 am
e-GMAT wrote:@CaptainM, in this sentence, "with almost half going to US" modifies the preceding clause. The preceding clause makes the claim that Argentina has become the world's leading exporter of honey. It also presents the data supporting this - Argentina sells 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Now using the phrase "with almost half going to US", the author adds further detail to the sales made in the foreign markets.

You may find detailed treatment of the topic of Comma + with modifiers in the post below:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/comma-with-e ... 85064.html

Thanks,

Payal
Hi Payal could you please tell us how to eliminate each of the wrong answer choices in a bit more detail .
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:41 am
CaptainM wrote:Ron,

I have learnt from one of your posts that "when prepositional phrases follow commas, they are adverbial modifiers".
Could you please explain what verb does "with almost half going " modifying in the correct option E

received a pm.

it modifies the preceding clause, as e-gmat points out above.

what's the source of the problem? it doesn't seem to be written in the style of the gmat.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:54 am
lunarpower wrote:
CaptainM wrote:Ron,

received a pm.

it modifies the preceding clause, as e-gmat points out above.

what's the source of the problem? it doesn't seem to be written in the style of the gmat.
Hi Ron this quest is supposed to be from GWD test purported to be a scoretop practice test .
Please tell us how to eliminate the wrong answers please .
MGMAT SC guide illustrates an example,in the Idiom strategy chapter , of how with could be erroneously used.
With only 25% of the student body,seniors get 50% of the resources . (This is wrong )
Could you explain why this sentence wrong ? is it just because its unidiomatic or could we have a grammatical reason too

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:29 am
mundasingh123 wrote: Hi Ron this quest is supposed to be from GWD test purported to be a scoretop practice test .
so ... what you're saying, then, is that this problem *might* be from a source that *might* be from another source?
hmm
by this point, i think you can probably predict my response to your using such problems.

in any case, scoretop is one of the sources to which GMAC has politely asked our instructors not to respond, so i will leave this question to the other moderators.
Last edited by lunarpower on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:32 am
lunarpower wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote: Hi Ron this quest is supposed to be from GWD test purported to be a scoretop practice test .
so ... what you're saying, then, is that this problem *might* be from a source that *might* be from another source?
hmm
by this point, i think you can probably predict my response to using such problems.

in any case, scoretop is one of the sources to which GMAC has politely asked our instructors not to respond, so i will leave this question to the other moderators.
LOl I read that GWD tests , created by a chinese guy , use questions from scoretop tests