In desperate need of help--480 first time, 470 today

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Beat the GMAT Community:

I'm in need of some help, and in the interest of both your time and mine, I'll try to keep this to the point.

I went to a well respected school in the Midwest and graduated with an English degree and a 3.625 GPA. I've worked in corporate finance/M&A and, more recently, fund-of-funds management with an investment consulting shop for the past two years.

About three years ago, I took the GMAT with little/no preparation and scored a 480. My practice tests indicated slightly higher, but I figured that I was smart enough to really show up come test day. I'm not afraid to admit that I was very, very wrong.

I decided to let some time pass and gain more work experience, but have now found that many of my colleagues have started part-time programs at U of C and Kellogg, and I'd like to keep up. So, in January 2011, I began studying again. I used the Manhattan GMAT strategy guides, a couple of their practice tests, and the two GMATPrep tests:

MGMAT1: 580
MGMAT2: 540
GMATPrep1: 510
GMATPrep2: 480

After my last test and my confidence lost, I decided that I wouldn't take any more practice tests, but go through the questions/answers of tests that I took, and tests that a friend who scored well on his practice exams took. I felt like this was going well, and feeling significantly more prepared than the first time three years ago, I went in and took the test today. The essay questions I really wasn't concerned with and was really just looking forward to hitting the quant. It's all a blur now, but I remember the first few math questions being tricky, then getting questions for which I didn't know the answer and couldn't decide between a couple possible options (I'm assuming I frequently chose the incorrect one).

Long story short, it came time to either report or cancel my score, and I asked myself, "What would you be satisfied with?" I decided that after all of this, I wanted at least a 500, but ended up with a 470, 27th percentile (26Q/30V).

I'm a bright guy and do well at work, interact well with colleagues and friends, and am typically pretty content with the person I am. This test makes me feel incompetent, foolish, and incapable of learning how to master it. The whole process for me is demoralizing, and I'm embarrassed that I put in six months of consistent effort only to do worse than I did the first time with no effort at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can you share any tips for if and how you succeeded? I'm almost rethinking going back for an MBA as a result of this, so I'm genuinely curious as to what the community's thoughts are.

I'd like to end up at Chicago Booth, and feel that a 620 or so would give me a pretty good shot, given my experience, grades, and connections at work. So, I know my goal isn't insurmountable by any means, but it seems like it for me at the moment.

Many thanks...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sandeep1306 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 pm
Hi bluedemon,

Going by the broad contours of the information that you provided, IMHO,i feel there is some basic flaw in your preparation.unless someone commits a lot of repetitive mistakes or leave questions in the tests,one's scores can not plummet to 470 or 480.
i would suggest that you should alter your preparation strategy in order to take your scores higher or take help of some professional coaching in cae your self study doesnt suffice.

hope it helped
Sandy

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jk2010 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 am
Hi Bluedemon -

Welcome to BTG. I am sure you will find plenty of help to get you to your goal.

First off, the GMAT is a hard damn test that defies most normal reason, so don't beat yourself up over your scores. The key to a good GMAT score is absolutely MASTERING the basic fundamentals. I don't mean simply doing tons of problems. You could go through the OG 5 times and not master the basics. You really have know your formulas, rules, fraction conversions, etc, and I mean know them stone cold. Some very effective tools are Beat The GMAT Practice Questions https://practice.beatthegmat.com (worth every penny of the premium cost)and MasterGMAT https://mastergmat.com .

If you have the resources, you may want to try a prep course. There are plenty of reviews on this site for the various courses. Personally I used Veritas and was pretty happy overall. I recommend, however, that you get your basics down BEFORE you attend one of the prep courses. That way you will maximize the strategies taught as you get to know the test.

Above all, remember that the GMAT is just a test. It absolutely does not define you, your intelligence, or your ability to do your job.

Hang in there and best of luck.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by rjank » Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 pm
I normally lurk around here, but your post sounds so much like I have felt sometimes that I wanted to reply. Also, since you're aiming for a score close to what I just got today (640), maybe my advice will help.

First, don't worry about the GMAT wrecking your ego, because it will. I believe the GMAT makes everyone feel retarded (yes, even high scorers) right up until that day they achieve the score they need to go to a school they deem worth the time and money. It's one of the roughest standardized admissions test around. Someone around here (I don't remember who), said something along these lines that put it in perspective for me: The GMAT has nothing to do with who you are as a person. It certainly can't speak to your value and it's even up for debate how much it can really speak to your applied abilities. Honestly, it seems like the thing the GMAT unarguably measures is how high you can score on the GMAT. So if you can, just think of it as a scoreboard on a game, you just want to get higher up on that board - other than that, forget about it.

As for a what you should do to move up on that score board:
- Take a class, Manhattan GMAT, Kaplan, or whichever other class you think would be best for you. It seems like you're just plodding through tests and studying without really changing up your strategy. A class will show you how to approach the test in a better way. A class will also show you where your strengths and weaknesses are.
- Don't rely on what your friends have done that worked well for them - it may also work well for you, but it may not. Their strengths, weaknesses, and needs might be totally different than yours. You need to find out what works for you.

Just a side note: Maybe you just didn't want to go into it, but it seems like you might just be considering an MBA because people around you are taking that route. If that's your only reason (or your strongest reason), stop putting yourself through the wringer. You should really only commit to pursuing an MBA if you need or want it (ideally both) to do the job(s) you truly want to do in life. If you don't need it or don't want it, you're going to regret the whole struggle.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by Gurpinder » Fri May 27, 2011 8:08 am
Hi,

I took the GMAT last year Sept and got a similar score to you; so I thought I drop in my 2 cents here. I am preparing for it again now and hope to get it over with before this september!

(1) As all the other people said, don't be demoralized because it's a hard test! It's not a piece of cake. It will be once you are ready for it! From personal experience, the GMAT doesn't really test whether you can do calculus (if you can, thats good) but tests you on the basics in a weird way under time pressure.

(2) If you are rusty in math, DO NOT TAKE CLASSES!!!!!!!!!! Do not waste your money! In classes, 90% of the content is strategy. If you don't know your basics, what are you going to do with strategy?

Buy the book by MGMAT - Foundations of GMAT MATH. It's like 20 bucks. It teaches you basic basic math that you need to know for the GMAT. I am going over this book right now and I love it!

Once you feel confident in your basics, then see whether you want to take a class or you can do self study (the other MGMAT study guides are wonderfull too).
"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress."
- Alfred A. Montapert, Philosopher.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mbagmatclubonline » Fri May 27, 2011 2:30 pm
Hello Bluedemon,

Do not be discouraged. Here's my recommendation for applying to B-school:

1. Be determined: If you think you need at least a 620, find a good tutor or training class. It is important to understand where you need improvement. Was this due to stress/nerves or was it a lack of knowing the fundamental principles. Getting a tutor or attending a class can help you nail the basics along with a few trick-of-the-trade. But choose your tutor WISELY. The worse thing would be to sink $2000 and get another 500 on the GMAT. I have seen this happen many times.

2. Be strategic: Remember the GMAT is only one piece of the application. If you raise your score to at least the upper 500's and show excellence in your resume, essays, and interview, you have a shot. I have seen scores of 560 on the GMAT with all other pieces in excellent standing get into Columbia.

3. Be realistic: Everyone who plays basketball wants to be like Michael Jordan. But the reality is that they can't. Booth and Kellogg are top 5 B-school's. There are a limited of slots. Like you said, you excel in other things. Getting in Booth should not be a measure of your worth or of who you are as a person. There is nothing to be ashamed about going to a top 10 or top 20 school. If you want an MBA education, consider the other great schools.

Many have been a victim of the GMAT. Stay positive.
Roland Lee
Director, Test and Admissions
Email: [email protected]