In an attempt to promote the widespread use of paper rather

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
In an attempt to promote the widespread use of paper rather than plastic, and thus reduce non biodegradable waste, the council of a small town plans to ban the sale of disposable plastic goods for which substitutes made of paper exist. The council argues that since most paper is entirely biodegradable, paper goods are environmentally preferable.

Which of the following, if true, indicates that the plan to ban the sale of disposable plastic goods is ill suited to the town council's environmental goals?

(A) Although biodegradable plastic goods are now available, members of the town council believe biodegradable paper goods to be safer for the environment.
(B) The paper factory at which most of the townspeople are employed plans to increase production of biodegradable paper goods.
(C) After other towns enacted similar bans on the sale of plastic goods, the environmental benefits were not discernible for several years.
(D) Since most townspeople prefer plastic goods to paper goods in many instances, they are likely to purchase them in neighboring towns where plastic goods are available for sale.
(E) Products other than those derived from wood pulp are often used in the manufacture of paper goods that are entirely biodegradable.

OA: D

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:44 am
Hi Verbal Experts,
It's a pretty straightforward WEAKEN Qs and I don't have any issues in getting this one right, but I'd like to know the EXACT reason for which option C is wrong ?

Is the following INTERPRETATION right ?

In C, it's NOT relevant to compare effect of BAN on this particular town with what has happened in other towns! I think, we're NOT really concerned about OTHER TOWNS...

Thoughts ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:42 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:n C, it's NOT relevant to compare effect of BAN on this particular town with what has happened in other towns! I think, we're NOT really concerned about OTHER TOWNS...
Your reasoning is sound.
Another reason:
After other towns enacted similar bans on the sale of plastic goods, the environmental benefits were not discernible for several years.
Here, the implication is that after several years the environmental benefits WERE discernible, STRENGTHENING the link between banning plastic goods and benefiting the environment.
Since the correct answer choice must WEAKEN this link, eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yolo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:33 am
d) ppl will find an alt method to use plastic bag, so the the ban (overall conclusion) may not be successful as the author thinks..yolo