• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

In a product test of a common cold remedy . . . . .

This topic has 1 expert reply and 0 member replies

In a product test of a common cold remedy . . . . .

Post
In a product test of a common cold remedy, x percent of the patients tested experienced side effects from the use of the drug and y percent experienced relief of cold symptoms. What percent of the patients tested experienced both side effects and relief of cold symptoms?

(1) Of the 1,000 patients tested, 15 percent experienced neither side effects nor relief of cold symptoms.
(2) Of the patients tested, 30 percent experienced relief of cold symptoms without side effects.

The OA is E.

How can I show that the correct answer is the option E? What is the best approach? I'd be thankful for your explanation here.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Posted:
2666 messages
Followed by:
125 members
Upvotes:
1153
GMAT Score:
770
Post
VJesus12 wrote:
In a product test of a common cold remedy, x percent of the patients tested experienced side effects from the use of the drug and y percent experienced relief of cold symptoms. What percent of the patients tested experienced both side effects and relief of cold symptoms?

(1) Of the 1,000 patients tested, 15 percent experienced neither side effects nor relief of cold symptoms.
(2) Of the patients tested, 30 percent experienced relief of cold symptoms without side effects.

The OA is E.

How can I show that the correct answer is the option E? What is the best approach? I'd be thankful for your explanation here.
You can ignore the variables here. There are four categories:
1) Only relief
2) Only side effects
3) both relief and side effects
4) neither relief nor side effects

We want the number for category 3.

Statement 1: This gives us category 4. (15% or 150 patients.) But now all we know that is that the other three categories sum to 85% or 850 patients. There's no way to know how that 850 is distributed among those categories. Not sufficient.

Statement 2: This gives us category 1. (30% or 300 patients.) Again, all we know is that the other categories will sum to 70%, or 700 patients. No way to know how that 700 is distributed.

Together: We'd have the following -
1) Only relief: 300 patients
2) Only side effects: ?
3) both relief and side effects: ?
4) neither relief nor side effects: 150 patients

We know that categories 1 and 4 sum to 450. So there are 550 more patients to account for. (or 55% of the remaining patients.) But there's no way to know how those 550 are distributed to categories 2 and 3. Could be 50 and 500, or 100 and 400, etc. So even together, the statements are not sufficient to answer the question. The answer is E

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep

Top First Responders*

1 Ian Stewart 43 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 35 first replies
3 Scott@TargetTestPrep 33 first replies
4 Jay@ManhattanReview 28 first replies
5 GMATGuruNY 19 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

149 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

93 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

53 posts
4 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

52 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

32 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts