Importance of ozone layer

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Importance of ozone layer

by champmag » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posting three critical reasoning questions in which I made mistake. Kindly feel free to discuss.

The importance of the ozone layer to terrestrial animals is that it entirely filters out some wavelengths of light but lets others through. Holes in the ozone layer and the dangers associated with these holes are well documented. However, one danger that has not been given sufficient attention is that these holes could lead to severe eye damage for animals of many species.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the statements above, if they are true?

A. All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact.
B. Few species of animals live on a part of the earth's surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer.
C. Some species of animals have eyes that will not suffer any damage when exposed to unfiltered sunlight.
D. A single wavelength of sunlight can cause severe damage to the eyes of most species of animals.
E. Some wavelengths of sunlight that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the earth's surface where there are holes in the ozone layer than where there are not.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:13 am
IMO E
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by masterblaster775 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:49 am
IMO A, It says 'all wavelengths where as E talks about just few wavelengths that can cause damage that are filtered by ozone layer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:41 pm
masterblaster775 wrote:IMO A, It says 'all wavelengths where as E talks about just few wavelengths that can cause damage that are filtered by ozone layer.
Mentioned in argument: ozone layer entirely filters out some wavelengths but lets others through.
How can you say that all wavelengths that can cause eye damage are filtered out??
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

by M09 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:24 am
champmag wrote:Posting three critical reasoning questions in which I made mistake. Kindly feel free to discuss.

The importance of the ozone layer to terrestrial animals is that it entirely filters out some wavelengths of light but lets others through. Holes in the ozone layer and the dangers associated with these holes are well documented. However, one danger that has not been given sufficient attention is that these holes could lead to severe eye damage for animals of many species.

Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the statements above, if they are true?

A. All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact.
B. Few species of animals live on a part of the earth's surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer.
C. Some species of animals have eyes that will not suffer any damage when exposed to unfiltered sunlight.
D. A single wavelength of sunlight can cause severe damage to the eyes of most species of animals.
E. Some wavelengths of sunlight that cause eye damage are more likely to reach the earth's surface where there are holes in the ozone layer than where there are not.
Looks like an inference/must be TRUE Q
IMO E
[spoiler]A,B,C&D[/spoiler] cannot be inferred from argument.

Followed by:7 members

by Ozlemg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:01 pm
It is E

A. All wavelengths of sunlight that can cause eye damage are filtered out by the ozone layer where it is intact. strong wording.
B. Few species of animals live on a part of the earth's surface that is not threatened by holes in the ozone layer. We do not know few or many
C. Some species of animals have eyes that will not suffer any damage when exposed to unfiltered sunlight.strong wording.
D. A single wavelength of sunlight can cause severe damage to the eyes of most species of animals. .strong wording.
The more you suffer before the test, the less you will do so in the test! :)