Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:750
Hi,

My complete profile is as follows:

Indian Male
GMAT - 750
GPA (undergraduate from a top engineering college in India) - 8.36/10 -> scales to 3.34/4 (Electrical engineering)
Work Exp - IT consulting, 15 months right now (No relevant leadership or managerial position as it is my first job)
Good Academic background ( Ranked 98 and 124 in two All India undergraduate admission exams)
Hopeful of good recommendations

Extra curricular : A singer ( performed at major music events in college and even at workplace), guitarist (learned on my own), composer (about 6-7 songs), conceptualized and acted in many videos made for my workplace for various events (sort of go-to person for such tasks)
Organized some minor events in college ( in cultural and technical festivals)

What are the gaps in my profile which can cause rejection of my application to colleges like Harvard, LBS, or Indian colleges like ISB ? and How should I fill those in the best possible way ? ( I know it depends on an individual basis, but some help is really appreciated )

The major things I can figure out is my GPA (is on a lower side for such colleges), my work exp ( average for such colleges is around 5 years) and my leadership responsibilities.

Thanks in advance

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:19 pm
To me the gap, as you put it seems to be in your Work Experience. Not only in the leadership area, as you identify, but also in the amount you have logged and the industry in which you have done it. In the applicant pool of Indian IT professionals, you will be up against thousands of other applicants with more work experience, so you would be wise to begin to look creatively at how you have been able to lead without a title at or how you have led on a team, etc...I love the music and drama component--that kind of stuff can set you apart and is memorable and unique, as so many applicants are all about work and that's it. Obviously your GMAT will be attractive too, but frankly, your score is so high, you will need to make sure you show some personality and the ability to engage with others. The music and drama again may help here. Good luck.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by soham2208 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:20 pm
Hey Bryant,
Thank you so much for the review. I have already started working towards my gaps. Now that the hurdle of GMAT is already over, I can fully concentrate on those. I am planning to start off with a volunteer work in a community initiative and then build on it. Also, I have always been interested in this kind of stuff, which directly affects people and the whole community, so I am sure I will love it.

Thanks again