I will have one more chance to beat GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

I will have one more chance to beat GMAT

by krazy800 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 am
Hi all,

I took GMAT today and Got 600 (Q 47, V-25). This was my second attempt (first one 570 Q-48, V-21)The worst part in this attempt is I have left 1 question unanswered in Math and 3 questions unanswered in verbal.Didn't think that I would falter on this.

I had been consistently scoring above 700 in my GMAT prep test with the lowest score being 700 (Q-49, V-36).

How much would it have affected my scores? I want to know about it because it would help me to understand where I am and plan things accordingly for my next attempt.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks
Krazy800
Aiming High

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:33 am
Received a PM asking me to reply.

It depends on several variables, but leaving questions blank definitely hurt your score significantly. For 1 question, the penalty can be anywhere from zero (if it was experimental) to about 5 percentile points. For 3 questions, the penalty was probably around 8 to 12 percentile points.

The penalty probably was not limited to just those blank questions. I assume you realized you were running out of time at some point earlier in the section, and you started rushing and making guesses. If you had strings of questions wrong at the end of either section (or both), then that would lower your score even more. Can you describe what happened with your timing in more detail?

Take a look at this article for more things to think about (and, if you want to discuss, do the analysis described in the article, and then add that information to your post here).

https://www.beatthegmat.com/a/2009/10/26 ... went-wrong
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me