I scored 550 on the GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I scored 550 on the GMAT

by awdrifter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 pm
Just took the GMAT. I vastly underestimated how hard it was. Admittedly I'm a middle of the road student, so getting 550 (Q38, V28) is not too dissapointing. I think I will try again and shoot for 600 though (I'm not applying to a fancy b-school, 600 should get me in).

I found myself running out of stamina after the quantitative portion. The 8 minute breaks are just not enough. I might need to bring like a bottle of 5hr Energy next time and maybe drink it on the first break.

The books I used to study are the Princeton Review Verbal Workout, Manhattan Sentence Correction, GMAT Quantitative Review Official Guide, and the GMAT Official Guide. During the test I remembered a lot of tricks from the Princeton guide, but I thin mine is kinda outdated (It's the 2nd ed, a friend gave it to me), it feels like there are some new traps that's not mentioned in the book. I might have to buy a new version and see. Oh the quantitative side I think I did what I'm supposed to, but maybe worked just a little bit too slow so I had to guess the last 2-3 questions. So hopefully by boosting the V section score and maybe do slightly faster on the Q section I would be able to hit 600.

Sorry for the random rambling, just want to share this.