I need to improve on hard quant questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I need a bit of help. I have just finished all the exercises in the Official Guide 12th edition. I used the OG error log kindly provided by beat the gmat team. When I analyzed my overall results, I found a very interesting point:

-My performance on the verbal section is:
86% correct answers on the easy questions
76% correct answers on the medium questions
71% correct answers on the hard questions

-My performance on the quant section is:
85% correct answers on the easy questions
70% correct answers on the medium questions
52% correct answers on the hard questions

As you can understand, my concern is on the hard questions of the quant section. If I want to achieve a high score, I would need to improve this ratio. I understand that the way GMAC calculates the GMAT scores depends more on the number of hard questions a test taker answers correctly. Therefore I presume if I were to improve my performance on the hard (and medium) questions of the quant section, I would be able to achieve a significant increase in my score.

Is there anyone out there who could recommend a good strategy to improve on hard quant questions both DS and PS? This could be a book/publication, a resource on the net, specific hard exercises or simply any other advice. I am planning to take the GMAT in 3/4 weeks time and I have been studying for a month or so.

Many thanks,

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:37 pm
Hi,

I just want to comment on your analysis. GMAC penalizes the candidate when he/she gets a easy/medium question WRONG much more than for a hard question. This means that you should first learn to master easy/medium questions and then move on to mastering hard questions.

From you statistics, i could see that you're still not as consistent with medium-level questions as easy questions. My advice is to work hard for now to master below 700-level questions.

To reiterate, Don't commit the mistake of concentrating on 700+ questions when you're still not a master of below 700 questions.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kourousafama » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 am
That's very helpful papgust.
This is point I didn't understand from the way gmac assigns points to questions.
If you (or anybody else in this forum) have any suggestion to master the easy and medium questions please let me know.

Much appreciated.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 pm
You may consider trying out Princeton Review books that largely comprises of easy and medium questions.

If you want to practice huge number of such questions, then i would suggest you to try out a particular Princeton Review book "1012 GMAT practice questions".
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"