I need some GMAT advice

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I need some GMAT advice

by casinel1984 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm
I appreciate you reading my post. I have a big decision to make and I am going to take this forums advice. Today I took the GMAT and scored 640 Q44 V35(this is the lowest I have ever scored in verbal). The issue is that I have never scored this low on a practice exam. What happened is I thought I was on the last quant question when time was up, but in reality I was on question 36(So time expired as I clicked the next button and another question popped up). This not only lowered my quant score but because I was so pissed off my verbal score had to be effected. All I could think about was how the first thing you are taught when studying for this exam was to finish in the 75 mins that were allowed(all the books say there is a significant penalty for not finishing). Due to this mistake I also considered not showing my score at the end.

My question is how effected could my quantitative and overall score be due to this mindless error? Do you suggest I retake the GMAT(my target school is University of Michigan)? I scored a 730 Q50 V38 the day before the exam. Thank you for the advice.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 am
It is very difficult to estimate these things. I believe that last question cost you a point, but it wouldn't make the difference between a Q44 and a Q50. The effect this had on your verbal score is impossible to quantify in any meaningful manner.

I am accustomed to going by the GMATPREPs - they are the best and most accurate predictor of your final score out of all simulation tests out there, and even then there's a 20-30 point margin either way attributed to pure, dumb luck. So I guess my reply to your query will depend on two things:

1) What were your GMATPREP scores, the first time you did the two CATS? (scores on retakes of the GMATPREPs are less indicative, since some questions will repeat). How far are they from that 640? If this score is indeed a 90 score drop form your usual par, I'd retake. But if that 730 was on a non-indicative test, then, sadly, i'm not sure it's relevant.

2) Based on your profile, will that 640 put you in the running for Michigan? If so, I'd put ego aside, save myself the $250 of a retake, and spend the time on making a killer application. Consult the many application experts on this forum for advice.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com