i lost it

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

i lost it

by rahulsaroha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 am
today i had given the real thing for the first time..
and guys the looser again proved that he wouldn't change...
VA-29, MA-48, OA:640

MY previous tests:

Kaplan:
1-590
2-630

Princeton:
1-640
2-630
3-650

GMAT prep:
1-640
2-640

u can see i stucked every time at 640..
i prepared hard for the last 5 months..
but all got wasted

I stucked at a RC around ques 10:
and guys i'm telling u that i hate RC's..
it was damned too tough..
randomly picked up choices..
and finally lost my whole confidence..
i was drained out....
i have to reread each and every line..2 to 3 times...
i know that i lost it..my head was paining tears were coming out..tried to keep calm and remember my goddess..
but couldn't make it out..

ok guys i think that i'm not in a state to give it ones again...
gd byee GMAT....and to u all...
thank to Stacy, Eric , Ron and other moderators....
rahul

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:52 am
Rahul:

This is your first time taking the test right? You CANNOT and SHOULD NOT give up.

Now that you know what the test is like, why not give it another shot while focusing on your weaknesses?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Rise of the Phoenix

by The Apprentice » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm
Rahul,

The challenge is not how you can beat the GMAT, but how you can beat yourself. GMAT is a target and every one sets up his own bar. Pick yourself up from your own ashes and rise like a phoenix. You will be amazed at what your will power and never say die attitude can do for you.

Wish you the very best!
THE APPRENTICE

PS: I have been there, done that.

GMAT Score:770

by tkherrmann » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:40 pm
Rahul -- first of all: congratulations on finishing your first GMAT. It can be a truly gruesome test.

First of all, look at your quant score! You already have half of the test figured out at a very high level.

Now, all you have to do is focus on verbal. If you are non-native English-speaker, begin on increasing fluency. Read, write, speak, and watch TV in English as much as you can. Learn grammar and apply it as you speak, notice others' errors. Then, refocus on GMAT problems.

If you are a native English-speaker, carefully dissect your errors on verbal and identify your weaknesses. Now that you've taken the test once, you know what you have to prepare for.

Hope this helps,
Tim

GMAT Score:770

by tkherrmann » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:41 pm
Rahul -- first of all: congratulations on finishing your first GMAT. It can be a truly gruesome test.

First of all, look at your quant score! You already have half of the test figured out at a very high level.

Now, all you have to do is focus on verbal. If you are non-native English-speaker, begin on increasing fluency. Read, write, speak, and watch TV in English as much as you can. Learn grammar and apply it as you speak, notice others' errors. Then, refocus on GMAT problems.

If you are a native English-speaker, carefully dissect your errors on verbal and identify your weaknesses. Now that you've taken the test once, you know what you have to prepare for.

Hope this helps,
Tim

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:08 pm
There are some things that i would like to say based on your test result:

1. 640 - is not a bad score. It is a good score there are thousands of people who have got into very good b-schools with that score and have succeeded in life!! So this is not the end of the world.

2. I scored a 640 the first time and a 620 the second time. But I'm simply not willing and ready to give up. Its just an exam and if people can score high so can I!!! I am going for another retake and i sincerely think that with a little hard work you can definitely crack it..

3. Now you know where the weakness lies (Verbal). Work towards that. Study the Manhattan SC guide, if you have already read it, then read it again. Take notes and review them every day.. This will help you to eliminate wrong answers in the test and since SC represents a larger portion of the Verbal section even a slight improvement would do wonders to your score.

4. Practice and practice

5. You have something now that you did not have before you took the test - The test experience. This is a very significant factor that affects the scores of many!! Now that you have experienced that, you are in a better state to crack it.

I personally feel that you should gather all your will power and determination and take it once more - just so that you will never regret of not giving it one more go.. But if you still think that you are done, then its your choice and i wish you all the very best..
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by gmat_dest » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 pm
Rahul,

cheer up dude.

Hari said exactly what I wanted to say.

And looks like Hari and I share the same fate .

Even I got 640 in my first attempt (just 1 week prep)
Second time, I took classes , studied for 5 months,
followed every damn book, gave around 10 mock tests
with a lowest verbal score of V34 and aggregate score
of 740s in GMAT Preps.

And on test day, I ended up with V28 and a total score of 620.

I was totally blank for a couple of days. I felt exactly what you felt.
I put my job on the line to prepare for GMAT. I took a break of a week,
went to do something what I like most, hiking!

I want to give gmat not because I want a higher score but because I know I have it in me to crush it.

And now I am back, I will beat gmat this time!

BTW I used to think of gmat as an exam, now I am beginning to love this game.

cheers

Congrats

by barira1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:30 pm
Congrats Rahul ,

and i think 640 isnt a bad score , if u love GMAT , it loves u back :) so give ur self a second chance if you are aiming for 700 + , otherwise apply to B schools and you will get the good response .

Good Luck in all ur efforts .