I just beat the GMAT - 760 (49Q 44V 5.5 AWA)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

I just beat the GMAT - 760 (49Q 44V 5.5 AWA)

by jasonc » Sat May 31, 2008 4:59 pm
Hi all,
I got a 760 on my GMAT! Q49 V44

Heres my studying history:

1 month before - took the GMAT prep test #1 with no prep and got a 720 (Q48 V41), didn't finish the last question in quant, and noticed that 11 out of the 12 questions I missed were SC.

the following 3 weeks - found this site and bought OG 11 (should have also bought MGMAT SC... didn't read this forum enough back then)
Did not study much (but should have), went through about 50 SC questions from the OG and some of the online notes from various sources (in the resources section of this site).

1 week before the exam - took GMATprep 1 again and got a 750 (Q50 V42). Again, 10 out of 11 misses in verbal were from SC.

following 3 days - went through all the SCs in the OG, using ursla's grid to help identify issues.

3 days before - went through 4 practice essays (2 of each type) and read the essay section of the OG - I recommend getting another source and read some quality essays, the OG only provides 1 example of a 6 for each essay type.

2 days before - went through the last 50 PS questions in blocks of 10 with a 20 min limit - DO NOT DO THIS, instead, do each question with a 2 minute limit. I got 49 out of the 50 questions right, within the time limits for every 10 questions, but ALWAYS struggled for time in the practice tests.

Took the second GMAT prep test and got a 750 (Q48 V44) finished the verbal section with 3 minutes to spare, only missed 5 questions in the verbal section this time, though 4 were SC.

Did the last 20 DS problems (didn't have time to do more) and missed 3, again using the 20 min for 10 questions method. (VERY BAD - again, DO NOT DO THIS, instead do 2 min for EACH question)

1 day before - relaxed, watched a movie, went to bed at 11 (a full 13 hours before my exam time). BUT DID NOT FALL ASLEEP TIL 4:30 AM! I tried every the trick in the book - showering, lower room temperature, xxxing, counting sheep, deep breathing, concentrate on relaxing every muscle in my body, etc...
I HIGHLY recommend having some alternative guaranteed way of making sure you get enough sleep (non-prescription drugs perhaps?), so you don't end up taking the test while running on 6 hours of sleep.

test day - woke up, prepped my stuff (snacks/breakfast/water/id)
Took the test, had to rush through a few questions in the quant section. Did not feel too good about the quant section. However, in the verbal section, I finished with TEN MINUTES TO SPARE. I was stunned... I mean I usually zip right through CR & RC, but this was pretty crazy... especially since I spent an average of 2-3 minutes per SC question.

Final score: 760 (Q49 V44) ADDED: AWA- 5.5

Takeaways:
1. Make sure that when you practice, time yourself on a per question basis.
2. No matter how comfortable you are with quant, spend time studying Quant, at least go through all the questions in the OG once (you'll be familiar with most question types then, and will be able to solve them faster). I didn't, and I kinda regret it.
3. When taking practice tests, figure out what you need work on, and focus on that. I'm really proud of myself for reducing my SC miss rate from ~66% to ~33% (10 questions to 5 questions).
4. Get the MGMAT SC book. I didn't, and I regret it, would made my SC studying much smoother I bet... and perhaps with better results

EDIT:
Again, my one regret is not spending enough time studying for the Quant, I really should have at least gone through the latter half of the questions from the OG or some other prep resource, and practiced time management. I strongly believe that anyone who can get a 48 in Q can also pretty easily get a 50 with some quant refreshers.

EDIT2:
Just got my AWA score back - a 5.5!
Last edited by jasonc on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Congrats...

by mav800rick » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:24 am
Great score mate...!

Can you comment a bit on the level of questions in each section. I am giving the GMAT soon..so wanted to get a good idea on the level compared to OG 11.

Especially Quant & CR.

by jasonc » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:17 pm
CR I'm not sure about since I never did any of them from the OG because I had no problems with solving any of them on the initial GMATprep test I took to diagnose areas I need work in.

Quant I'm also not THAT sure about... I did do the last 50 in the PS section (got 49/50 right) and the last 20 in the DS section (got 17/20 right)... and got many more of these right than my hit-rate on the actual exam (Q49 means I likely missed ~9-10 questions => got 75% of the quetsions correct).

SC is the section I spent almost all my time on, and I can say that the questions are indeed reflective of what you'll see on the GMAT.

In summary here is what I think:
If you're in the 600-700 area, then the OG will contain lots of questions that are comparable or more difficult than what you'll see.
However, if you're in the 700+ (and especially 750+) area, then you'll likely see few questions from the OG that are reflective of what you'll see on the exam. (because the OG has questions from all difficulty levels).

More specifically I think OG is reflective (especially the last sets of questions) if your Q is ~46-48, and V I can't comment much on since I only did SC (which was reflective of what I saw on the test) but I suspect around the same percentile, which is ~40-41 raw?

If you're in the range of anything higher than 95%tile (or even 90% maybe) the OG questions are not nearly as reflective of what you'll see, but still useful to help you get the core concepts down.
I beat the GMAT! 760 (Q49/V44)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Actual GMAT test...

by mav800rick » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 pm
You think you got about 8-9 Q wrong in Quant to get a 49?

How many Q can u get wrong to get 40+ in verbal? Just so I know when I practise where I stand.

by jasonc » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm
For verbal:
for me when I got a 41 I missed 13
42 I missed 11
and 44 I missed 5
I beat the GMAT! 760 (Q49/V44)