I have a question about a unique profile. Pls help

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster long time follower of many of you here at the beatthegmat, and I have to say this site has been nothing short of amazing as I prep for my transition from active duty in the Marine Corps (on the enlisted side) to a full time MBA program. So I'd like to thank you all for that first and foremost!

Anyways here's a little about me, like I stated earlier I'm currently active duty in the Marine Corps as an 0311 squad leader. I'm gearing up for my last deployment and am looking towards the future at my MBA prospects (hope to apply for 2015 full time programs). With that being the case I have a couple of questions for those of you who may be more savvy or educated on such matters. Mostly, I'm curious as to what kind of programs I should target or even what programs I might even be competitive for (top 10? 15? 25? 50? etc.)

I've looked at countless profiles, and read many success stories but I've never come across one quite like mine. My path took me from a community college in Arizona where I captained the men's soccer team as a Fr. (a first ever) and was able to parlay that into a division 1 scholarship at a public university way up in the Northeast. Unfortunately, after I was there for a year the school cut the men's soccer program. I was unwilling to give up my dreams of playing soccer at a very high level so I transferred again, this time to a private university in Hawaii for my Jr and Sr years. I graduated there with a 3.2 GPA in international business (along the way I suffered a couple of injuries that had me rehab for an entire year which contributed to the lowish GPA). From there, 4 days after finishing my last bit of coursework, I went straight into the Marine Corps on the enlisted side (missing my own graduation nonetheless).

During my tenure in the Marine Corps, I've excelled beyond those in my peer group and grown exponentially on both a personal and professional level. In just under 3 years I've received two meritorious promotions and have held billets throughout as team leader and squad leader in an infantry platoon. Upon applying to business school I'll have completed 4 years of service and be 27 at matriculation. Furthermore I am planning to take the Gmat in Dec/Jan, my last 4 practice scores have been in the 670-710 range.

The biggest questions I have are:

How do the admission counsels look at enlisted service compared to that of officers? Will the fact that I've excelled help offset any stigma that might be attached to enlisted service?

Will the fact that I attended three undergraduate schools be detrimental to my chances at a top 15-20 school, or can I help my case by telling my unique story?

With my stats/story (3.2 Gpa/~690 gmat) what kind of program am I competitive for? My wishlist has schools like Darden, Johnson, Ross, and Fuqua or should I target schools more like Kelly (Indiana), McCombs (Texas), Mendoza (Notre Dame), and Kenan-Flager (UNC) or do I need to look even further down the totem pole at schools like Foster (Washington), Fisher (Ohio State), WP Carey (Arizona State)

I apologize for the lengthy post, but appreciate all the time and any input some of you may have for me as I attempt to navigate through this process.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am
I won't go in depth here, but do not sell yourself or your experiences short! there are all types of vets in business school... as the son of two retired army vets, I felt very close to my veteran classmates some of whom were officers and some of whom were not. the best thing that you can do in your situation is to start reaching out to the Veteran clubs at the schools you are researching and ask these questions to those students. the vet communities at each school are very much willing to help out!

Since I went to Johnson and am in contact with many of the current 2nd years, here is a blog post I recently posted about an event happening at the school:

https://money9111.blocked/2013/10/c ... cants.html

I'm sure there are more events like this at other schools too....
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 am
Hey there,

It's great that you're thinking ahead. I'm happy to help so let's get into some of your questions here!

1) While there can be a generalized difference between officers and enlisted personnel, there is a large grey area. You can be an officer and not have done much of anything and, on the flip side, been enlisted and held some great leadership positions. As a squad leader of riflemen, I'm sure you have some experiences to pull on, no? Additionally, the stigma, if one can call it that at the level you are at, is generally based on an assumption of level of education. You're a college grad - the reason you're not an officer isn't because you weren't qualified. Not sure if there weren't spots open, you didn't go to OCS - could have been a host of reasons you're not an officer. But that doesn't mean you didn't lead your men and that's what counts.

2) Nope, I really see no reason this should stand in your way. Your first transfer was great and for all the right reasons! Your second transfer can be attributed to passions and, if positioned correctly, no one will really have grounds to question you.

3) You're looking at the right range of schools for your aligned. I'd actually suggest you throw in a couple of lower ranked top 10 programs. You're a marine - they'd be lucky to have you! You definitely don't need to go lower on the totem pole.

What exactly are you looking to do with your MBA? That would really help me help you narrow down that list and find some other options.

Cheers,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!