How to improve my Quant score from 39 to 46?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to improve my Quant score from 39 to 46?

by AA11 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:41 pm
I just took the GMAT yesterday and was thrashed by it.

Score: 590 (33V, 39Q)

My practice test scores are as follows:

Kaplan 1: 580 (Sept)
Kaplan 2: 640 (Sept)
MGMAT1: 580 (Jan)
GMAT Prep 1: 620 (Feb, 3 weeks before Exam)
MGMAT2: 640 (Feb, 4 days before Exam)
GMAT Prep 2: 580 (Feb 22nd, night before the Exam)

My math score ranged from 37-42 and verbal ranged from 29-36.

I went through Kaplan Premiere Book to get a basic idea of the GMAT and did all the questions. I studied for 2 weeks and took 2 Kaplan tests. I took the first one at 3 am and scored 580. I knew I hadn't performed to the best of my ability so I took another one the next day and scored 640. After that, I felt relaxed because I had heard people say that a 640 on Kaplan is close to 700 on the real thing. I bought the MGMAT books and went through the CR and most of the SC book, doing OG qs along the way. However, I soon got busy with school so decided to wait till winter break to study.

After 2.5 months, I finally registered for the exam, giving myself only a month to study. I figured I should be fine since being an engineering student, my math is obviously strong and I had gone through most of the verbal section, taking notes along the way. I went through the rest of the 6 MGMAT guides in this month doing OG qs as suggested by the guides. I took one Veritas test during this time and scored 580. I don't remember the breakup. I didn't worry about it because I had only gone through 2 math guides. When I got close to finishing the guides, I took 2 more tests (MGMAT 580 and GMAT Prep 620). By the time I finished going through the guides (doing both mgmat practice qs and og qs along the way), I was left with 3 days. During these 3 days, i took 2 more practice tests (MGMAT 640 and GMAT Prep 580). I knew I was between the range of 580-640 but I was hoping my final score would be more towards 640. Additionally, I noticed that on the tests I took, I was getting alot of DS qs wrong.

On exam day, I guessed on 1/3rd of the Math qs because I didnt have time. I was left with 15 qs in the last 15 minutes so that screwed me up. My timing was ok on the practice tests. I was able to complete the test if i guessed on 2-3 questions. Also, on the exam, I thought I was doing very well on the verbal section so I was disappointed to see my score...590 (V33, Q39)

According to me, I should have done these things differently:

I should not have taken a practice test 12 hours before Exam
I should have gone through the OG questions again, especially the ones I got wrong
I should have focused more on DS , my weakest section
I should have practiced more RC and CR questions. I practiced only 5-6 RC passages and about half of the CR qs from the OG because I ran out of time.

I'm applying to quant programs so I need a high quant score. I'm still contemplating taking the exam again. The earliest retake date will allow me to apply to the final round deadlines. Do you think I should study a month, improve on my score and then apply or should I go ahead and apply to the 2nd round?

If I do decide to retake it, what do u think my strategy should be?? Should I get the GMAT Focus? I have the official GMAT's Quant and verbal guides but never got a chance to go through them. I could practice more questions from there. I want to get my quant up to at least 46 and my verbal up to 37-38. Please help me out in forming a strategy.

Thanks!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by AA11 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 pm
any help would really be appreciated!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by yellowho » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:16 am
What kaplan tests are those? Is it on a CD?