how to form logical opposition

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

how to form logical opposition

by amaelle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 am
Good day All,

i'm quite stucked with the find the assumption part and have serious problem to form the logical opposition in order to use correctly the negation strategy so , i would be very gratful if anyone can advice me good materials for this particular aspect.
Thanks in advance
Ama

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:32 am
amaelle wrote:Good day All,

i'm quite stucked with the find the assumption part and have serious problem to form the logical opposition in order to use correctly the negation strategy so , i would be very gratful if anyone can advice me good materials for this particular aspect.
Thanks in advance
Ama
Hi ama you can start with power score's critical reasoning bible, its a wonderful book and you can also search beat the gmat forums for various resources..!!!
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by amaelle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 am
manpsingh87 wrote:
amaelle wrote:Good day All,

Thanks in advance
Ama
Hi ama you can start with power score's critical reasoning bible, its a wonderful book and you can also search beat the gmat forums for various resources..!!!
Many thanks , in fact i just read this book which is a "must" for the critical reasoning preparation, it's just that this is particular point isn't furthered as i would like to, what makes me look for another materials.:)

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:44 am
@amaelle : You dont need to spend hours in big books. Try to go through articles and the explanations from Davidàveritas over this site, and you will see the difference.

One thing that made the difference for me, do only one question type. So if you have problems with assumption type, just do this problem type and only this until get hold on it. You will see the difference.

If above two do not work, post back here . :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 pm
Thanks GMATMadeEasy! Makes me feel good to see that. I will try not to let you down...

I am not sure that I have specifically addressed logical opposition, in a posting.

@amaelle:
Basically, you negate the main verb of the sentence (so if there is more than one clause make sure it is the dominate clause of the sentence that you negate) so you would turn "He will take the bus instead of the car" becomes "He may not take the bus instead of the car" the point of negating is really to say, "what if this is not true?" So just saying, "what if he does not take the bus" is a way to negate this statement.

If there is a quantifier you leave the verb alone and negate the quantifier. So if we were to say "All people eat meat." It would be "Not all people eat meat." But once again it is really the doubt, so you are asking yourself - do I need this fact? So you can say "what if it was not true that all people eat meat?" Does this harm the argument?"

That is the essence of an assumption question. You are focused on what happens when you take away the answer choice. So the form that you use is not that crucial. You can just ask of each answer choice, "what if this is not true?"

For example, if the conclusion is "You have been accepted to business school" which of these is the assumption? A) You have scored 710 on the GMAT. B) You have been accepted to all of the schools to which you applied. C) Business schools are something that exist.

I know this is an extreme example, but do you see how it works. If we ask "what if A is not true?" Does this make the conclusion impossible or very unlikely? NO. "710" is too specific to be a good assumption here. What about if B is taken away? NO. This is much more than what is required. You do not have to have been accepted to all schools only one. Look at C, if this is taken away then you are saying what if business schools do not exist. That would harm the conclusion!!

Here are some links that GMATMadeEasy was talking about. Try some assumptions this way. By thinking what happens if I take this away.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/nuclear-powe ... 29-15.html

https://www.beatthegmat.com/an-odd-cr-fr ... 68008.html

https://www.beatthegmat.com/reduce-fatal ... 68915.html

https://www.beatthegmat.com/computers-as ... tml#302237

Good Luck!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course