How Much Work Experience Needed?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How Much Work Experience Needed?

by PattyCake » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am
Hi Stacy -

I have two questions that I could really use your advice on:

I had a 3.6 GPA and a 700+ GMAT score, but I'm 24 and only have 2 years of work experience. In my job I created a new niche. I lead strategy sessions & am now the head of competitive analysis for my 6000+ people organization. While I don't have anyone that reports to me directly, I'm responsible for tasking numerous other people. Do I need to wait until I have more work experience to apply?

Also, because I travel a lot on a varying schedule, I haven't had much time for outside activities. Furthermore, until recently I was a primary care giver for a sick relative when I was in town. That took up a lot of my otherwise free time. Should I include an essay to explain why I don't have much extracurriculars? Is the lack of outside activities going to hurt my chances greatly?

I much appreciate the guidance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:20 pm
2 years of experience is on the low end for many schools, but if it is high quality experience, it will certainly be enough.

The lack of outside interests and activities could harm your chances, as most schools are looking for involved, well rounded students. While I don't think you should include an essay to explain why you do not have the activities, you should do your best to make it clear that you do have many interests and demonstrate what you have been doing with any free time that you do have.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me