How may times vs how many times more

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

How may times vs how many times more

by prabsahi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm
Two circular road signs are to be painted yellow. If the radius of the larger sign is twice that of the smaller sign, how many times more paint is needed to paint the larger sign (assuming that a given amount of paint covers the same area on both signs)?

A. 2
B. 3
C. pi
D. 4
E. 3pi/2

OA:D

Larger circle area is 4 times the smaller circle.(Since the ratio of radius is 2:1)
But,since the problem is asking how many times more I subtracted the area of smaller circle and picked.
If the question would have asked how many times,I would have easily picked D as the answer
Experts can you please explain where is my GAP?
If you want to fly,you have to give up the things that weighs you down!

PS

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 pm
For the most part, "how many times" = "how many times more".

Logically I see your point, but idioms/usage conquer all, and in English in 2017 the equation above holds.

(In percent problems, though, the distinction is important: "percent of" ≠ "percent greater".)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
prabsahi wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm
Two circular road signs are to be painted yellow. If the radius of the larger sign is twice that of the smaller sign, how many times more paint is needed to paint the larger sign (assuming that a given amount of paint covers the same area on both signs)?

A. 2
B. 3
C. pi
D. 4
E. 3pi/2

OA:D

Larger circle area is 4 times the smaller circle.(Since the ratio of radius is 2:1)
But,since the problem is asking how many times more I subtracted the area of smaller circle and picked.
If the question would have asked how many times,I would have easily picked D as the answer
Experts can you please explain where is my GAP?
We can let the area of the smaller sign = πr^2. The radius of the larger sign is twice that of the smaller sign, so its radius is 2r. Thus, the area of the larger sign is:

π(2r)^2 = π4r^2 = 4πr^2

Thus, we see that 4 times as much paint would be needed.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage