How many years of education is required to apply?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

A quick question. I am from Delhi, India and I am planning to give the GMAT next year and apply next year only. I want to study in Canada. I have heard that generally universities require 16 years of education, but in India we only get 15 years of education [except Science/Engineering courses].

Does that mean that I'll have to do a 1 Year diploma course and then apply for MBA?
Or 15 years of education + 2 years of work ex + GMAT score is enough?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Knitgeek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:26 am
Generally if you hold an undergraduate degree you are fine. It will vary from school to school though. I would recommend getting in touch with the admissions and recruiting offices at schools you are targeting. They will be able to give you specific help with that and it's always good to get your name out there prior to sending in an application.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 am
Knitgeek wrote:Generally if you hold an undergraduate degree you are fine. It will vary from school to school though. I would recommend getting in touch with the admissions and recruiting offices at schools you are targeting. They will be able to give you specific help with that and it's always good to get your name out there prior to sending in an application.
I agree you will have to ask each school. More MBA programs do accept the 3 yr degree and I recall that when I was at Kenan-Flagler we changed a few years ago to accept this degree. But your best bet is to check on a school by school basis if you don't see the information on the website.

by ronit1894 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:04 am
Hi,

Thanks for the information.

So what I am planning is, to give the GMAT. And if they don't accept 15 years education, then I will do a 1 year diploma course from Canada and then apply for MBA with my GMAT score and work experience. By then, i will have 16 years of education.

Does it make sense? Is it a correct plan?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Knitgeek » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 am
While I would say it's a solid plan, it really depends on what schools/programs you are targeting for your MBA. Most universities I've encountered have no issue with a 3 versus 4 year undergrad degree in Canada.

If you have a list of schools that you are targeting check their program requirements online. If they don't have the answer right on the website email admissions and they should be able to help you out. If your degree isn't enough they would probably be able to point you towards a diploma or extra classes to upgrade enough to qualify for admissions.

Personally I have what is considered a 3-year degree (it's actually based on the number of credits not the length of time you took to complete the program) but I have more university credits than what I needed to complete my degree (long story). I had no issue from that side of things getting admitted to a part time program in BC and I would have met the requirements for the full time program as well based on my schooling.

I would say start doing some research on the schools you are looking at applying to right now. Focus on that and your GMAT prep and go from there. Even if your dream program needs you to take a couple classes before applying your GMAT score will still be good when you get done with those courses.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by geena » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 pm
Hi!
This thread is really too interesting. thanks for sharing that thread with us.
Php training in Lucknow, java Training in Lucknow

by ronit1894 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:09 pm
Hi,

Thanks for this information. It was really helpful.

I will definitely focus on GMAT now, and then start an extensive research on schools and courses.